Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,908   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monopods

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Monopods

I like shooting available light portraits but I have trouble getting enough light

I would like to use a monopod with some SLR's. I have a Nikon F but the other SLRs that I would consider are Hasselblad 500cm's and Pentax 67's (neither of which I own).

I don't really like the idea of mirror lockup because I would prefer to move more fluidly. I typically shoot at 1/30-1/60 with standard lenses and shorter (for my Nikon). So my questions:

1. What's a good beefy monopod for not too much money? Size/weight does not matter. I was thinking of some used gitzo off keh.com or a manfrotto if bought new.
    2. Anyone have luck with Hasselblads and/or Pentax 67's at slow shutter speeds? I figured that I can test my Nikon myself and that I would probably expect a 1-2 stop advantage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a manfrotto monopod and my only gripe is that is is four inches too short. I am 6'5" and stooping when using it gets annoying/painful. If you are less than 6'1" you would be fine.

Advantage is that it doubles as a stick on rough terrain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As mentioned, get a sturdy mono pod. You might use a spindly tripod with success,
    but with a mono-pod, you only have the one leg. Ensure it's a strong stick.
    On tripods, I prefer a pan-tilt head. On mono pods, only a simple ball head is needed.

Also, for landscapes, have you ever considered a 'bag pod?'
    I shoot TLR, and MF SLR, mirror lock up with my bag pod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...od_Camera.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...od_Camera.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think this is the model I have, different head though, an inexpensive ball head instead.

Works nice, the results are so nice when compared to hand held.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always found that mono-pods helped with shooting a movie camera, not so much help with still cameras and slow speeds.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Manfrotto monopod with a small swivel type head and quick release plates. It's very nice and I really enjoy using it.

Here's an interesting blog article about how to use a monopod. I found it very helpful, especially the rear foot brace part.

http://photographylife.com/how-to-us...#comment-32570
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Manfrotto here. I use it with slr+300/2.8 for sports/nature. I use it with 4x5 speed graphic as well.

I don't use a head on it. That means no vertical shots with it on most cameras, unless you are using a collared lens or a camera with two tripod holes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find monopods best for square format or rotating back cameras.

I have a Manfrotto monopod with an accessory quick shoe release. It is surprisingly finicky to mount a camera on .

The models that have built in, mini-tripod legs can be handy when there is no wind. They are a decent substitute for something like a camera stand, but they certainly are no substitute for a tripod.

They also can be used as a light stand for a portable flash.

They are relatively expensive.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    There's really no reason not to have a monopod. Truthfully, I mostly use mine for non-photographic purchases; having a 6' adjustable pole really comes in handy around the house. I keep it by the couch for when things get stuck underneath.

I have an aluminum Manfrotto with a simple tilt head. It doesn't have a quick release; instead it has the old school thumb screw which I actually prefer. I wish more modern tripod heads had this option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't tested this idea but I understand that in some places that object to tripods on policy grounds a photographer may get away with a monopod, particularly if you make it look like an aid to walking. Not much help with a view camera, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin