Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,301   Online: 935

Shooter
    Multi Format

Great source for obscure fuses, etc for photo gear

I own a few German-sourced pieces of equipment (Wallner darkroom gear and Multiblitz lighting). The small 5X20mm fast or slow, glass or ceramic fuses had proven awkward and expensive when I had needed to buy or order locally in my rural area. I recently found a nice, easy, fast and inexpensive source that others may find useful.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/

Tayda Electronics. I rec'd what is likely a lifetime supply (okay, I'm pretty old) today and got some old, parked equipment up and running again. I ordered 7 different fuse types and they ranged from 18-32 cents each with a very moderate flat shipping charge. Anyway, I wish I had known of them before and am posting this in case it helps others locate these things. If other sources are known, please post them, too.
    Craig Schroeder

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    5x20mm fuses obscure? They are standard and available everywhere. ;-)
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    thanks for the link ,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    5x20mm fuses obscure? They are standard and available everywhere. ;-)
    In my rural area (up in Woodtick, Wisconsin), I had to special order some slow-blow ceramics in what appeared to be an odd amp fuse and paid quite a bit per fuse (these for a modular Wallner densitometer, color analyzer, darkroom timer system). The electrical supply house that I stopped at had a number of things but all glass and only low amp variants. Because they struggled to find a source, I assumed that it would be hard for me, too.

I recently added some Multiblitz mono lights to my current Multiblitz units, each having 3 different fuse types each and were the newer models with different fuses than my current units. That sent me searching for sources and I felt fortunate to stumble into a source with such complete inventory and everything that I needed for what seemed like very low pricing. They also seemed to cater to the hobbyist with no minimum orders and a very low flat shipping fee. I simply assumed that there may be others in a similar situation who don't live in an area of easy supply.
    Craig Schroeder

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Craig, you are certainly correct. But the fact that you cannot get them easily in the US doesn't make them obscure. Maybe obscure for USA?
    "Great source for hard to get fuses in USA" would have been a better title.
    Regards,
    Andreas

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ath, the trouble Craig had was about the smaller metrical ones. Are metrical and imperial tube-fuses really evenly spread worldwide?

But in case of difficulty of supply it might be alternative to exchange the fuse holder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is nice. I see they have the 5x20 in 1.6A, 1.25A and 6.3A which can be hard to find at RadioShack USA for the Durst L1840. Shipping an 18 glass part from Germany can be a little expensive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Craig's right in the ceramic fuses being a little less common. I just ordered some online today because I couldn't find anything but glass ones anywhere near by and they were the wrong amp at that. So, it's not just in the U.S.A. I wound up having to buy a pack of fifty of the damn things because, to buy two (from the U.S.) the store owners were charging FORTY THREE DOLLARS for postage.... on a four dollar item. My fifty cost me $8 including P&H. So, if anyone needs a 6x30mm 12A fuse, just yell

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin