Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,961   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Ball head recommendations

I just won a gitzo g1228 on ebay. Got a great deal on it. I need to pick up a ball head now, and need some recommendations.

I shoot landscapes and use a 35mm and hopefully soon, a medium format 6x6.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a Really Right Stuff BH-40 with my Bronica 6 x 4.5. I'm very happy with it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have an Arca Swiss Monoball Z1 DP with the panning head ABOVE the ball - allowing you to keep the camera perfectly level even if you need to rotate the camera to adjust your composition. Also very useful for panoramic stitching. The DP essentially acts like a 'leveling' tripod... I'd be lost without it

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Gitzo makes good ball heads. I use the 1277M with a Pentax 67 and a Rolleiflex. No problem with holding power. I have even used it for 4x5, though you are better off with a tilt head for 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am happy with my new Manfrotto 054 Magnesium Ball head: http://www.manfrotto.com/054-magnesi...-quick-release

It works well with my RB67 and my smaller cameras too.

It has some interesting design features - like levers and other controls that are each of different shape and position, so you can tell by feel which one you have contact with.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You get what you pay for, and the China crap is, well, anyway, Arca Swiss, RRS are worth the cost.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a Gitzo 1228 for years and loved it. You need a medium sized ballhead for that tripod. I use an Arca-Swiss Z1 on a Gitzo 3-series systematic and it's wonderful but too big for the 1228. Markins make a range of A-S copies and their Q10 is perfect for it. Markins heads are well designed and engineered and beautifully finished. You might also want to look at the Acratech Ultimate, Arca-Swiss P0, and RRS BH-40, all great heads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Benro B3

http://www.benrousa.com/products_details_B3

I use it on my Mannfrotto 055 and it supports my Sinar Norma 5X7".
    It might not be up to the most strict tolerances and will "set" a tiny bit when tightening the knop. Untill now that hasn't been an issue for me.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Large Format
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    +1 RRS Excellant piece of equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin