Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,919   Online: 790

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Clockwork Light Meter

Is it possible to make a clockwork light meter? If so, would I be the only person who may use one?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What would the clockwork be doing? I really cannot imagine hopw you could have such a thing.

Shooter
    35mm
    What is a clockwork light meter?

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Is it possible to make a clockwork light meter? If so, would I be the only person who may use one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Of course not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How on Earth would such a thing work? The old meters used Selenium cells which turned light into an electrical signal which then registers on the meter. I don't see where winding it up would come into it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wagg View Post
    How on Earth would such a thing work? The old meters used Selenium cells which turned light into an electrical signal which then registers on the meter. I don't see where winding it up would come into it.
    You wind up the clockwork. The clockwork train turns a tiny regulated generator which supplies 2.7 volts to your LunaPro. That's about as close as you can come to a clockwork lightmeter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    We have wind up radios, as endorsed by Nelson Mandela, so why not a wind up light meter?
    Last edited by cliveh; 01-18-2013 at 03:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There was a mechanical light meter gizmo of sorts posted years ago...
    http://www.nzeldes.com/HOC/Posographe.htm
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum45/9...ure-meter.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You wind up the clockwork. The clockwork train turns a tiny regulated generator which supplies 2.7 volts to your LunaPro. That's about as close as you can come to a clockwork lightmeter.
    There could also be a gear train which, when you line a pointer up to the needle, turns the exposure calculator to show the setting.

I imagine some kind of Steampunk-looking gizmo with lots of brass gears and stuff. Sort of like an Argus C3 on steroids.

Maybe something like this:
    http://lh3.ggpht.com/abramsv/SAbnnw2...steampunk6.jpg
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    There could also be a gear train which, when you line a pointer up to the needle, turns the exposure calculator to show the setting.

I imagine some kind of Steampunk-looking gizmo with lots of brass gears and stuff. Sort of like an Argus C3 on steroids.

Maybe something like this:
    http://lh3.ggpht.com/abramsv/SAbnnw2...steampunk6.jpg
    That sounds like what I'm looking for.

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin