Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,718   Online: 952

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    First time I've seen basalt described as a "lightweight rock". That's somewhat contrary to everything I've learned through far too many years of geology studies...
    It's only light when someone else gets to lift it, just like furniture.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    New news-They are now being sold by B&H (under Gitzo,not Manfrotto-although Bogen is the distributor company).B&H has no images,specs,or details listed with them.

only the prices(the lowest being around $270.00 U.S.-for one that can hold about 4.5 lbs) and that they are special order.
    They are refferred to as "sport Basalt tripods","reporter",etc.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim kirk jr.
    Magfiber and Neotec tripods recently introduced a new tripod is coming out
    this year.One made of volcanic Basalt rock.supposed to be 20% lighter than aluminum,stronger due to what it's made of and totally waterproof(including
    the hardware).
    Jim
    Even more exciting news!
    It turns out that this tripod has been designed specifically in conjunction with the long awaited re-release of the Hasselrock 1000000BC (better known as that Flintstone camera with the bird inside that chisels the picture into a little stone tablet with his beak).
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Basalt consists of about 48-52% silica (SiO2). Other major elements in varying proportion include titanium (TiO2), aluminum (A2O3), iron (FeO or Fe2O3), manganese (MnO), magnesium (MgO), calcium (CaO), sodium (Na2O), potassium (K2O, and phosphorous (P2O5).

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/Products/P...cks.html#oxide

Gitzo pulverises basalt, melts it and adds some pixie dust, then spins it into fibers. The result is a glass/metal composite fiber that is woven and laminated with epoxy into a tube structure. Then Gitzo PR takes over...
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Still, basalt is considerably heavier than e.g. granite...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably includes a lot of air, most of it hot.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Basalt consists of about 48-52% silica (SiO2). Other major elements in varying proportion include titanium (TiO2), aluminum (A2O3), iron (FeO or Fe2O3), manganese (MnO), magnesium (MgO), calcium (CaO), sodium (Na2O), potassium (K2O, and phosphorous (P2O5).

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/Products/P...cks.html#oxide

Gitzo pulverises basalt, melts it and adds some pixie dust, then spins it into fibers. The result is a glass/metal composite fiber that is woven and laminated with epoxy into a tube structure. Then Gitzo PR takes over...
    This being stated(the makeup of basalt)I have a question.
    First I have two tripods(one aluminum,one carbon fiber).From what I understand(I may be wrong)wood tripods allow less vibrations to reach the tripod head than the above.How would in comparison a tripod with all those
    elements(of basalt) compare in this regard-worse,better or about the same?
    The ones listed at B&H are pricey for the load capacity-would it be any real
    improvement from a scientific viewpoint.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim kirk jr.
    This being stated(the makeup of basalt)I have a question.
    First I have two tripods(one aluminum,one carbon fiber).From what I understand(I may be wrong)wood tripods allow less vibrations to reach the tripod head than the above.How would in comparison a tripod with all those
    elements(of basalt) compare in this regard-worse,better or about the same?
    The ones listed at B&H are pricey for the load capacity-would it be any real
    improvement from a scientific viewpoint.
    In this case I would consider a fully organic carbor-fiber compound, which is what my tripod is made of: Wood.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin