Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,434   Online: 825

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

New Tripod from Bogen/Manfrotto

I'm not sure how "new" this is to the APUG community but aside from the
    Magfiber and Neotec tripods recently introduced a new tripod is coming out
    this year.One made of volcanic Basalt rock.supposed to be 20% lighter than aluminum,stronger due to what it's made of and totally waterproof(including
    the hardware).Oh,it's also bio-degradable,so after a few generations or a few centuries it wont be hanging around wasting away in a landfill.It sounds interesting enough and is news to me.

Jim
    Last edited by jim kirk jr.; 01-05-2005 at 03:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I saw these advertised and could hardly believe it. They seem little more expensive than metal and far cheaper than CF. I seem to remember 25% being the approx weight saving off CF over metal, so for 5% difference, are there still reasons to go for CF (apart from them being good at conducting lightning)?

Very interesting...
    Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    At first I thought this was a joke along the lines of Ansel Adams' ideal tripod (a cubic yard of concrete with a 1/4"-20 screw on top), but indeed--

http://www.bogenimaging.us/news/deta...5&begincount=0

Good thing it's fireproof. It's a real drag when your tripod catches fire, and then it can catch your darkcloth. That must be the reason I don't have a Ries.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WhenI lived in Brooklyn, there used to be studs on the road on the Brooklyn Bridge. Old technology. They repaved it with volcanic concrete. Very LIGHT stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I gotta have one!

A ROCK SOLID TRIPOD AT LAST

"The volcanic-based basalt materials used to develop them from the ground up provide photographers advanced performance and durability at affordable prices."

(Should be "...advanced performance and durability at rock bottom prices.")

"...from the ground up..."
    An excellent pun!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyway...I have ordered a nutwood Berleback now, whoopeee an operational 8x10 very soon . Now off to ebay with that which must go to make way.....

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Stay tuned for the APUG DNG3000 Tripod, a new era in tripod manufacturing to be released in late 2005. The DNG3000 is constructed completely from New Zealand Beetle Dung, and is 50% lighter than carbon fibre.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I heard that Merck & Pfizer were making a new tripod called the Cox-2 Inhibitor...made entirely of recycled Vioxx and Celebrex tablets. It gets a little unstable in rain or high humidity, and when it falls over you might have a heart attack, but you'll feel no pain...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This is my guess on cost ratings(highest to lowest)

-Vioxx and Celebrex-
    -Carbon Fiber-
    -Mag Fiber-
    -Volcanic Basalt-
    -Aluminum-
    -Beetle Dung-

Now if price,weight,recylclability and strength are all considered which will be the best value?

The basalt still sounds pretty wicked....
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    First time I've seen basalt described as a "lightweight rock". That's somewhat contrary to everything I've learned through far too many years of geology studies...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin