Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,038   Online: 794

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Academic Research about Analog Photography and Film Scanners

Dear APUG Members,

My name is Francesco Schiavone (www.francescoschiavone.it). I am an Italian assistant professor in Management. I do research on reactions to technological change by old products' users. To this end, I would perform an interview (by email) to 4-5 key members of the APUG community about analogue cameras and the role of film scanners to make them alive. Would anyone of you reply to a short open questionnaire? If so, please send me an email to franz.schiavone@gmail.com and I will send you back the questionnaire. Another option is to dowload it (attached to this message) and send it back to me to my email address.

Thanks for the kind attention and collaboration!

PS: Sean Ross supports and is ok with my project!

Best Regards
    Francesco
    Attached Files

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to Apug!

Could you explain the meaning of your question:

"What about the set of complementary goods of film cameras (e.g. minor effectiveness of film scanners in slowing their disappearance from the market)?"

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You investigate on the impact of technology an a photographers community, and by this aim your questionaire seemingly at someone having insight on such a community (Q1).

What about those photographers who do not make part of any community?

In case you refer with "community" at the aggregate of analogue photographers I doubt a person as considered in Q1 could give a representative reflection on the situation.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-29-2013 at 08:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Dear AgX,
    thanks a lot! The meaning of the question is this: I want to know if, according to your opinion, the fact that the transition to digital photography was very fast and "disruptive" made film scanners less useful for the survival of the technological system "surrounding" analogue cameras? Feel free to think about any possible connection (that you can explain) between ditigal imaging, film scanners and the "analogue world" (except analogue cameras).

thanks again!

Francesco

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the word community in a broad way, for both the cases you mention: photographers that feel themselves as members of the "community" and simple photographers.

The goal of this study is to understand the impact of a conversion device on the base of users and the set of complementary goods of an old declining technology. Therefore, both the types of users could provide me interesting reflections for my analysis.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fschiav View Post
    I use the word community in a broad way, for both the cases you mention: photographers that feel themselves as members of the "community" and simple photographers.

The goal of this study is to understand the impact of a conversion device on the base of users and the set of complementary goods of an old declining technology. Therefore, both the types of users could provide me interesting reflections for my analysis.
    Francesco,

As a photographer of long standing ,I resent the implication that film photography is "old and declining."

It is very much alive in many many places and used by many photographers In fact, I venture to say that most of the
    APUG community uses the"old and declining" process.

Even in the computer age,people still use lead pencils.

Howard Dvorin

Shooter
    35mm
    Dear Howard,

I agree with you. I know that and for this reason I am very interested in analysing film technology (as already I did for other tech). So please, reply to my questionnaire so that I can develop this (and forthcoming) research on this subject. If you want know about my studies about "old and declining" technologies, send me an email and I will send you some papers.

PS: FYI, my preferred product are my "old and declining" analogue turntables

Best
    Francesco

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardDvorin View Post
    As a photographer of long standing, I resent the implication that film photography is "old and declining."
    Chill . . . Easy on the Italian guy. I don't think he meant so many shades of derogatory meaning: English is likely his second meaning. In the denotative sense, film is both old (it's been around a while) and declining (fewer practitioners and producers): I'm sure he only meant that, which is a challenge we all face, as shown by the many discussions on related topics here at APUG.

Resent all you want: the fact is that film is, objectively-speaking, both old and declining.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sehrgut View Post
    Resent all you want: the fact is that film is, objectively-speaking, both old and declining.
    I prefer "mature and consolidating"
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschiav View Post
    Dear APUG Members,To this end, I would perform an interview (by email) to 4-5 key members of the APUG community about analogue cameras and the role of film scanners to make them alive.

Best Regards
    Francesco
    How do scanners make analogue cameras alive?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin