Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,277   Online: 886

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    ....All this talk of seawater makes me wonder how many sailors there are on the forum. I enjoy sailing, and have a little yawl built in 1896. Bill Tillman, who I met a few times, is probably my all-time hero and role model. He was a bit more talkative than I am, though.
    Been sailing since before I could walk (initially not of my own volition). Most of us have photographed the things we love at some time or another. Got any images?

Oh re the filters; being somewhat acquainted with the problem that you have on a regular basis, I agree with the plain, clean water suggestions.
    Or you might go with charcol micro-filtered, distilled, PH neutral, UV blasted but untouched by human hands variety if you prefer and you have some handy.

.... and don't rub them until they are clean of salt residue for obv reasons.

Best, john.
    Last edited by John McCallum; 01-07-2005 at 10:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why should water that is high in mineral salts affect filter coatings any more than distilled water? In most of the situations that I've been in when my cameras have been sprayed with seawater or mud the chances of finding distilled water have been nil. It's more important to get the stuff off quickly in the freshest water you have available.

Best,
    Helen
    All this talk of seawater makes me wonder how many sailors there are on the forum. I enjoy sailing, and have a little yawl built in 1896. Bill Tillman, who I met a few times, is probably my all-time hero and role model. He was a bit more talkative than I am, though.

Well as I work in glass, I have learned to carry 'clean' water with me, for those times that it required.

The cleanest water available may be more harmful that the water that has contaminated the filter..

Just my obeservation after several years of shooting in mineral laden water areas..

Looking at it from the perspective of someone who is expected to deliver the most clean glass that I can, I will take the extra precautions to ensure that my lenses and filters are as clean as possible.

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why should water that is high in mineral salts affect filter coatings any more than distilled water?
    Because evaporation will leave a residue of any disolved material. In practice, if you dry the filter well with a lens cloth this will be minimal. Some disolved salts might also damage the coating.

David.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the very informative responses. I am sure there are others that this simple but valuable tip can assist in their photographic adventures.
    After dunking in warm distilled water, leaving it for half an hour then moving it in cold distilled water for a bit, I shook it for the excess water to come out then wiped it with a lens cloth and left it to air dry.
    It looks fine now.
    Thank you all!
    I was out and about the city shooting since my brother stole the jeep and I was vehicleless for a longer excursion, I found myself in the port. The day had some of the most beautiful clouds and clouds are rare in Crete, unless they follow a winter rainfall. The wind was very strong and the Mediterranean wild so I took a few rolls before my uncovered hands and neck felt like they were melting.
    Then I noticed the spray on the filter so I called it a day.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All this talk of seawater makes me wonder how many sailors there are on the forum. I enjoy sailing, and have a little yawl built in 1896. Bill Tillman, who I met a few times, is probably my all-time hero and role model. He was a bit more talkative than I am, though.
    It may not necessarily be sailing. It seems to me there is a large contingent on APUG who live on or very near their local coastline and therefore we occasionally get sprayed with salt water.
    It would be interesting to see how many of us are 'coasties' and how many are 'inlanders'.

My personal preference is to gently soak in a warm soap solution then rinse with warm water and dry with a hairdryer on a 'cool' setting.

I do the same when cleaning my lens filters.
    Last edited by Andy K; 01-08-2005 at 08:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin