Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,038   Online: 794

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dead battery! Yargh!

I spent a leisurely few hours setting up for an 8x10 still life.

Ate dinner and then got serious about finishing touches, got out the flash meter...... And it's dead.

Lithium battery, not available at corner store or anywhere else until tomorrow.

Grrrr, grrrr, grrrrr.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I hate camera battery's, they always give up at the most awkward times, I now do not own a camera that is battery dependant, I sold my last battery dependant camera a while ago, now all my cameras are over 50 years old, bar a couple of old Pentax's, and they only need meter battery's and I always have my hand held, a Weston, and my flash meter uses a AA battery, available anywhere,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know this is infuriating when it happens but there's no law against having the forethought of keeping at least one spare Lithium battery in stock.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-12-2013 at 05:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Um, sly, that's why I've always tested my flashes to determine their guide numbers and learned how do add GNs so I could use multiple flashes. Old fashioned, I know, but it still works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm in my seventys, and It amazes me at the beginning of the 21st century that so many photographers are so battery averse, one of my cameras a Canon A1 that I have that's completely battery dependant I've used regularly for twenty five years has only ever had the battery changed three times, and it's not rocket science to always have a spare new one in stock for any item of equipment..
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I'm in my seventys, and It amazes me at the beginning of the 21st century that so many photographers are so battery averse, one of my cameras a Canon A1 that I have that's completely battery dependant I've used regularly for twenty five years has only ever had the battery changed three times, and it's not rocket science to always have a spare new one in stock for any item of equipment..
    +1

About to enter my seventies and have always carried spares which sometimes come in handy for extended cold, winter shoots.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, most of my frustration is directed at myself. It's possible that I have a spare battery, but don't remember the safe place I tucked it away 3-5 years ago.
    I bought 2 batteries, and am set now for quite awhile. The new spare is in the drawer we keep AA's and AAA's in. That was my husband's idea. I was trying to come up with a new "safe" place that I'd remember for years, as if my memory is likely to get any better.

I could have taken the photo with a loooooong exposure using the modelling lights, but I just felt too angry with myself to go ahead.

Hope to get into the darkroom to develop the negs in the next day or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What frustrates me a bit is the variety of batteries that serve the same function. Granted, each type may be slightly advantageous for it's particular use but those benefits are outweighed by needing to keep a variety of batteries around. So give me 1 lithium coin size, 1 button battery size (maybe a 2nd for watches). Does the world really need a CR2 and a CR123?

I'll go back to spitting into the wind now.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    I always carry spare batteries for my cameras that take them. Only once has a battery given it up unexpectedly in the field. Smugly, I fit the spare battery, which, of course, turned out to be dead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeahh. There is certainly something very nice about smugly walking out the front door with my Leica IIIc, a couple lenses, and my Walz Coronet B headed for the back country to take pictures, blissfully secure in the knowledge that I need no batteries.

Fast forward an hour and a half and I am screaming uselessly at the beautiful blue skies and gorgeous mountain scenery as I realize that I left all my film in my other coat pocket!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin