Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,651   Online: 881

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 35mm problems

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i am used to viewing everything upside down and backwards and want to build
    a prismatic adapter for my leica, so i don't have to view everything right side up, or frontwards ...
    does anyone know if a ground glass was made for it ?
    i have searched some of the specialty sites and since i don't know the code names or numbers
    i can't figure it out. if i have to, i'll adapt a different maker's gg, my toyo and rollei are too big ...
    as a last resort i have had people wheel me around on a dolly
    but going over curbs is a real PITA
    If you're used to view everything upside down and backwards I assume that you mostly use a view camera. I assume you're used to composing, focusing on the ground glass before loading the film and make an exposure. In such case simply remove the Leica's back put a ground glass at the film plane and lock the shutter open. After you're done you can load the film and make an exposure. That way you can frame your shot a lot more accurate than you can with the Leica viewfinder.

PS: Well I don't know if you could mount the Leica on tripod without the back or how to load film without removing it from the tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Build a ground glass viewfinder?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i think i just figured out what i need to do ...

i think i am going to build a BOX that i can stick my head INTO ..
    i'll look out of the box through waxed paper or ground glass or ... something frosted
    then my world view will be upside down and backwards ,
    i wonder though, what will happen when i use my view camera ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unless there is a lens in front of the ground glass or frosted surface the view will not be inverted.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade D View Post
    Unless there is a lens in front of the ground glass or frosted surface the view will not be inverted.
    bummer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i think i just figured out what i need to do ...

i think i am going to build a BOX that i can stick my head INTO ..
    i'll look out of the box through waxed paper or ground glass or ... something frosted
    then my world view will be upside down and backwards ,
    i wonder though, what will happen when i use my view camera ?
    A nice frozen mug of cider?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Some people may joke about John's original thread, but he has a very valid request. Most LF users may appreciate what I mean.
    After 25+ years of using view cameras, I actually have to think to remember the view is rotated 180 degrees - sometimes I'm surprised when people comment.

Oddly, I have no problem using the viewfinder of an SLR or rangefinder camera, I make the same errors with these as I do with the view cameras.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    After 25+ years of using view cameras, I actually have to think to remember the view is rotated 180 degrees - sometimes I'm surprised when people comment.

Oddly, I have no problem using the viewfinder of an SLR or rangefinder camera, I make the same errors with these as I do with the view cameras.
    But the point is that sometimes you need to see both views within the confines of the frame. Although with LF you can use your eyes outside the ground glass, it’s not quite the same as seeing both views within the confines of the frame. So in that way the LF user is almost as restricted as the SLR/Rangefinder user.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin