Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,483   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35mm problems

Shooter
    Multi Format

35mm problems

i am used to viewing everything upside down and backwards and want to build
    a prismatic adapter for my leica, so i don't have to view everything right side up, or frontwards ...
    does anyone know if a ground glass was made for it ?
    i have searched some of the specialty sites and since i don't know the code names or numbers
    i can't figure it out. if i have to, i'll adapt a different maker's gg, my toyo and rollei are too big ...
    as a last resort i have had people wheel me around on a dolly
    but going over curbs is a real PITA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    so i don't have to view everything right side up,
    Gee, John, is this really a problem?
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "backwards...frontwards"

???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just hold the camera behind your head and use a hand mirror, John... or, more easily done, just think backwards and upside down. I thought that was required for driving in RI anyway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    a prismatic adapter for my leica, so i don't have to view everything right side up, or frontwards ...
    i have searched some of the specialty sites and since i don't know the code names or numbers
    i can't figure it out. if i have to, i'll adapt a different maker's gg, my toyo and rollei are too big ...

Is it very sunny where you live? Do you spend a lot of time outdoors?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Common advice for evaluating composition is to look at the image upside down (excuse me, I mean "umop episdn"). So in your case, accustomed as you are to LF ground-glass viewing, shouldn't you be getting the same benefits by viewing the right-side-up image in a prism viewfinder? It sounds to me like you should embrace the challenge.

As an alternative, cognition experiments have established that if you wear prismatic glasses that invert your view, after a few days your brain adjusts and you start seeing that inverted view as right-side-up. So a few days with inversion glasses should be enough to convince your brain that the right-side-up view in a 35mm viewfinder is in fact umop episdn. I'm not too sure that anyone makes these glasses commercially, but a homebrew job shouldn't be too difficult as compared to many of the DIY projects we see on APUG. Try it and get back to us with a report, say I.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    John, hi there and look no further than what I consider the most useful gadget, namely the Leitz Vidom universal finder as shown in my Avatar. For those not familiar with this little device, let me mention that many years ago I noticed 2 pictures of HCB with a camera, one taken when in his 20’s and one taken when in his 50’s and on both pictures he has a little device slotted into the hot shoe of his Leica. For many years I thought this was just a viewfinder that provided an angle of view for a specific lens not built into the bright-light frame finder of the camera. However, some years later I was reading a student’s personal study written about another magnum photographer. I even remember the actual day and where I was standing in the room, as it hit me like a sledge hammer. This other magnum photographer described how Henri showed him what this device did.
    In short, it allows adjustment to view at a variety of focal lengths (something I never use it for and probably neither did HCB I believe) and it also adjusts to correct parallax, but here is the best bit, it also allows you to view the image inverted in a horizontal plane, should you wish to print shiny side down for compositional reasons. This means you can view from viewfinder to Vidom finder and see the image flipped horizontally. However, that is not all, its best function is that by turning the small prism at the back you can view the image upside down in both landscape and portrait format, thus giving the objectivity of shapes and forms only normally seen when working with LF.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for your suggestions so far.

david - it is a HUGE problem, especially when i try to parallel park.
    i'm usually a few feet from the curb.

whitey - i tried the mirror, but i had trouble seeing beyond my own reflection ..
    and i have just tried to just think upside down and backwards but the problem was
    that as soon as i got in "the zone" ... the decisive moment was gone

evh - lots of snow and sun and cold there these days, but that hasn't kept me inside
    i was roasting coffee in my driveway just a few days ago

nathan - i was thinking of prismatic goggles like you mentioned
    but my optician suggested i just stay in the dolly and get wheeled around
    because it was a more practical solution.

clive - i goggled the doohicky you mentioned ... it looks like it might work.
    i wish i could just get glasses like that, it would make things easier ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Easy John, just make yourself a mirrorless TLR. You might try a cheap compact zoom on a cheap slr with the back replaced by gg, velcro on the baseplates, lens alignment marks on the backs, and a loupe painted black over the gg. It's a Goldbergflex! (easier to say than Gowlandflex)
    Which reminds me, everyone should go to the Peter Gowland site, look at the pictures he did even as a child, and feel inadequate.
    Good luck, hang by your thumbs, and write if you get work; David

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Some people may joke about John's original thread, but he has a very valid request. Most LF users may appreciate what I mean.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin