Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,684   Online: 930

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Strange circular anomaly on pictures. What could it be?

Hi all,

My better half is using a Canon 5 with my old (+- 5 years) 24-105 lens. The lens is in perfect condition and has only ever been used by myself.

Recently some strange anomalies started appearing on her pictures. On both the left and right of the pictures, although mostly left hand side, strange concentric circular lines are appearing. It is not on all pictures on a roll and it does appear on different rolls from slide to BW. I have attached a picture of the problem (see light circles on left of picture), but this one is not as pronounced. I will post more later that are extreme.

Some pictures are with a filter (red) and some without. The lens was bought about 4-5 years ago, new, for a digital camera. The Canon 5 that she has needs a CLA but there are pictures from another lens that are perfect. This problem appears to occur intermittently with the one lens, the 24-105.

Is it the glass? Is it the mount? Light leak?

Please can someone help me identify this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Superpan4.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	405.7 KB 
ID:	64136
    Last edited by Ghostman; 02-14-2013 at 09:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I feel silly but I can't see them at all

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see it. If you bump up the contrast it's clearly visible. I would think that it's an internal reflection somehow, possibly the filter. It appears as though the light is very diffuse in this picture, but can you tell if the symptom is more pronounced in clear sunny weather, shooting into the light? If so, I would expect some kind of internal reflection.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Admittedly it's not the best example. I'll have to wait until I get home to find a more obvious one. The bands are actually more visible on the small image than the large one. I can see them because I know what to look for. Do check in later for an update.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I see it. If you bump up the contrast it's clearly visible. I would think that it's an internal reflection somehow, possibly the filter. It appears as though the light is very diffuse in this picture, but can you tell if the symptom is more pronounced in clear sunny weather, shooting into the light? If so, I would expect some kind of internal reflection.
    Hi Thomas,

Yes, the light in this shot was very diffuse. Not all affected frames had a filter on. I have some shots on slide with bright blue skies where this anomaly occurs and no filter was used. I will post them later too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Out of curiosity, do the lines occur when you use the lens on the digital camera you bought it for?

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    is it actually on the film? or might it be something that happened with the printing ( or skanning ) ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since it is a zoom lens, does this problem occur more (or less) when it is zoomed all the way in or all the way out?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    Out of curiosity, do the lines occur when you use the lens on the digital camera you bought it for?

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/
    Hi Jeff, no, the lens always worked well on the dslr. We can run another check though.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    is it actually on the film? or might it be something that happened with the printing ( or skanning ) ..
    I will check the film under a loupe this evening to eliminate scanning newton rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Since it is a zoom lens, does this problem occur more (or less) when it is zoomed all the way in or all the way out?
    I can't say, I'm sure it was probably used on minimum zoom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    Hi Jeff, no, the lens always worked well on the dslr. We can run another check though.
    Sensor size on the DSLR means different coverage. The 'rings' could have been outside the image area with the digital.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin