Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,029   Online: 736

Thread: Film storage

Shooter
    Large Format

Film storage

Looking for a way to store my 8x10 film when I put the rest in the freezer. Has anyone come across anything other than the box in which the film came in to store it until I can use it? Thanks, R.W.Delung

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rdelung View Post
    Looking for a way to store my 8x10 film when I put the rest in the freezer. Has anyone come across anything other than the box in which the film came in to store it until I can use it? Thanks, R.W.Delung
    Why freeze it? If it's colour film kep it in the fridge and if it's black & white don't bother, unless you live in a very hot part of the world.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I put opened boxes or loaded film holders in zip lock plastic bag before I put them in the freezer.

Film keeps better when frozen with the exception of Polaroid type films.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... and, of course, there is a contrarian experience:

I put opened boxes or loaded film holders in zip lock plastic bag before I put them in the refrigerator.

Film keeps better when refrigerated with the inclusion of Polaroid type films.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've wondered about refrigeration & freezing of film. Isn't the humidity higher in the colder air? Will unopened 35mm cassettes keep out the higher humidity. I've been meaning to took up the formula for humidity & temp? Personally, I keep all my film in the veggie & meat bins @ the bottom of the reefer @ ~37F. For decades I've read that one should freeze film; one shoud not freeze it. I don't know. I'm assuming that that 37F is adequate.
    I don't know of anyone who thinks that @ least it shoulden't be refergerated.
    Jay Drew

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Film storage

I've been refrigerating mostly colour slide and colour neg film and have never had any problems that I can tell. I store all my film in a mini bar fridge.
    David S. Nardi Photography
    'preserving the beauty in nature'
    www.davidnardi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always go by the fact that Agfa kept its uncut rolls at -10C. I understand this to be the best compromise between storage life and energy usage. I always freeze film that I will not be using in a few months.

Relative humity is the amount of water present divided by the maximum amount that air can hold at a given temperature. So a relative humidity of 50% says that the air is holding half the amount it could possibly hold. Warm air can hold more moisture than cold air.

Boxes of paper should be placed in ziplock bags. Film in original containers (cans or sealed packages) can also be bagged but this is not necessary if they are unopened. Whether film or paper has been refrigerated or frozen it should be allowed to come to room temperature before opening the package.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 03-01-2013 at 01:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by J Drew View Post
    I've wondered about refrigeration & freezing of film. Isn't the humidity higher in the colder air? Will unopened 35mm cassettes keep out the higher humidity. I've been meaning to took up the formula for humidity & temp? Personally, I keep all my film in the veggie & meat bins @ the bottom of the reefer @ ~37F. For decades I've read that one should freeze film; one shoud not freeze it. I don't know. I'm assuming that that 37F is adequate.
    I don't know of anyone who thinks that @ least it shoulden't be refergerated.
    Jay Drew
    I freeze unopened film. I rarely freeze opened film, I tend to refrigerate opened film. I also live in Los Angeles where the humidity is almost always low.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks all for your information. I think I'll try the best of both worlds, and freeze half of my 4x5 and 8x10 film. The other half i'll put in the refer. crisper tell needed, and allow to come to room temp. before loading. I don't think there will be any problem if I put the unused film back in the crisper. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? Thanks again for the reply's
    R.Delung a re-born again large format guy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only downsides to freezing film:

1. It takes space. My wife routinely makes comments about how full our chest freezer is.
    2. You need to warm your film before removing it from packaging (ziploc bags, canisters, foil wrappers, etc.). The rule of thumb is 4 hours to ambient temperature, though if you're going outside in winter to shoot it, it might be a little shorter.

Slow emulsions keep nearly indefinitely if frozen. Faster ones keep better enough to still justify the bother. Refrigeration is better than nothing and a good compromise for film you will use soon but not immediately.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin