Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,448   Online: 773

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Gossen Starlite2

I ordered the Gossen Starlite 2 from my local camera shop earlier this week. When I went in to get it, they told me Gossen told them about 2 weeks, as they're out of stock! I was really stoked to get a real spot meter today, oh well.

In the meantime, can anyone share some personal experiences with the Starlite 2, what to expect etc? I've read the full manual, and actually figured out my conversion factors for the units to measure luminance as a handy reference point.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the original Starlite, fabulously accurate meter, and the easy switch from incident to spot is really convenient. The link from the meter head to the body seems a bit of a weak link on mine and had to have it repaired recently. The switch that changes the lumisphere also seized up, but that was sand...my bad there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the reply. It sounds like my choice was right. It takes a little longer to get one here, for some reason, but the other one I could get seemed like it had too many distractions which detracted from the use. I've used Gossen and like the work I've seen. I had a chance to buy a Lunasix 3, but the batteries are 12 euros each and it takes 2. Plus it's not a spot meter, which really helps me.

I've read that they also perform well with wratten filters over the viewfinder, and are quite accurate in that situation, does that seem to be the case?

Again, thank you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I got the meter last month and am quite happy with it, although the cover for the spot portion was slightly flimsy.

The ability to spot meter, and then to check the scene for the range of luminance has been a boon!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    After using this meter for several months now, I can solidly recommend it to anyone! Other than the spot cover and a slightly weak feel to the rotating head, everything is in perfect order. It allows for averaging of the scene, and several other functions. I've yet to need a new battery! Having used it on all my recent shots, I have to say I'm quite pleased!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the original model, which seems quite nice. The spot cover does seem a bit flimsy, I expect to lose mine soon. Also raising and lowering the lumisphere is quite a manly task, and I don't have sand in mine. It takes a single AA; I tried with a rechargeable NiMH, but that battery drained in very short order. The Alkaline I put in a year ago has held up quite well.

I'd sure love a Starlite 2 though...
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you can swing it, it's definitely worth it. Although everything you mentioned holds true in this one, too.

I like being able to see the complete range of a scene by holding down the button and moving over the entire scene. It's given in f/stops, but it's been handy. Then, the Zone System and luminance functions can be used to match your personal style and methods. Learning is quick, too!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin