Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,525   Online: 1060

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Your First Camera / Photography Experience

I was thinking today about my first camera and photographic experience.

My first camera was a Christmas present when I was maybe 7 or 8 years old. It was a simple plastic camera, the brand long forgotten. It was focus free and I think used 127 roll film. Of course it was equipped with a flash and I think came with a dozen flash bulbs. I believe that the only control was a color / B&W selector which controlled the aperture.

I remember running around the house Christmas photographing anything I could find and getting into a bit of trouble for going through the first roll of film so quickly. Of course, there were no stores open on Christmas back then so I had to wait a day or two for more film. At that time you took your film to the drug store and it took what seemed like an eternity to get the photos back.

I also remember that the flash bulbs had a plastic coating. The coating blistered up and gave off the most wonder smell when used.

I've attached a photo from that fateful day.

What a wonderful time.

How about your experience??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scanned Photo150.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first camera was a Kodak Brownie Holiday and it cost $6.00 and I had to Lay Away since I didn't have six bucks at the time. Paid it off in a couple of weeks and I was off and running. My first 35mm was a Kodak Retinette with a Schneider lens and shot many slides and pics with it and still have it. Mailed most of my film for processing to Jack Rabbit in Spartanburg, SC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first real camera was a Canon AE-1 and I started landscape and natural photos.

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I know I posted this in another thread, not my first camera, but an identical one purchased in a thrift store. Ok I got a sentimental. I was 6 or 7 years old and recieved the camera as a gift from a family friend, was totally blown away as I was quite sure cameras were for adults only. Still have vivid memories of photographing my Estes model rocket on the launch pad. The image was a little blurry because I was to close, but very cool just the same.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JBriansmall.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	64976
    I recently found my first camera. Hard for me to believe, but I was cleaning out some boxes in a closet, and I came across some of my old cameras, including my Instamatic 100. I thought that this camera had long ago disappeared. I must have rescued this camera from my parents house at some point. Iím sure I saved it because I knew it was my first camera. My parents house went thorough several floods in the 1980ís and maybe thatís when I saved the camera. It looks like itís been through a flood. The floods unfortunately destroyed some of my negatives, a lot of my Cibachrome prints and my sisterís darkroom. I thought the big boxes of family snapshots were also destroyed, but when I asked, my sister has saved a lot of the photos and negatives. She sent me one of the boxes and I managed to find one of my first photos. My parents gave me the camera in 1963 or 64 Ė I was in the 1st grade. The Instmatic 100 was the latest and greatest thing from Kodak Ė and perfect for a 6 year old. Nothing to adjust on the camera Ė just push the button and wind the film. My class had won a trip from the Grapette Company on the Reader Railroad (also amazingly still in business). I believe the image is from inside the caboose. I used to have some images from inside the coaches and along the route. Maybe Iíll find some of the other photos in one of the other boxes my sister has. There was a partially exposed roll of Kodacolor II in the camera Ė I finished off the roll and sent it to Film Rescue but nothing came out. Maybe Iíll have to find some film and try out the camera again. Finding the camera and photo just reminds me how you canít just throw your digital photo is a big box in the cupboard and still have them 50 years later.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    My first camera was Kodak Instamatic X-15F, a gift from my grandfather some time in 1977. It took 126 cartridges. I remember the yellow box it came in, and on the back of the camera were three small square indents where you could place your initials using the sheet of letter stickers that came in the box. I was so proud to personalize the camera that way and was very careful to put the stickers on straight. Pretty cheesy, really, but not to a nine year old!

I have most of my early negatives, but they are hard for me to date precisely. The one below is of my little brother, so I think this must have been around 1978-79. Image scanned from the negative. (Image of the camera courtesy of Wikipedia.)

Jonathan

Shooter
    35mm
    My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic 100 that had belonged to my grandmother, I don't really know when it was given to me, probably the late 70s. I, too, got in trouble for shooting (wasting) too much film on photos of "silly" things. I put a lot of film through that little camera on many family vacations and just around the house. When I finally broke it at the age of 14, we threw it away and I did not get another camera of my own until I went off to college and bought a Nikon SLR. I have a sentimental attachment for the Instamatic for no good reason. I bought another one, the same model, at a yard sale for a dollar some years back just to have it. My replacement came with a demonstration cartridge that was presumably intended for camera dealers to show how easy it was to load the camera!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't know exactly when I got my first camera. I just know it was a hand-me-down.

From my father.

From his scuba days.

It was an original Nikonos. Viewfinder with parallax markings, knobs on the sides of the lens barrel for focus and aperture. Shutter speed was set by the knob on top of the release, which had a funky winding method: You released the shutter by pressing in (towards camera rear) on the winding lever. You then allowed the winding lever to come away from the camera body clockwise until it came to a stop. The film was wound on by pressing the lever counter-clockwise until it came to the furthest stop, then relaxed to prepare for the next exposure.

I was around six years old when I can first remember using itóaround 1979 or 1980. I always shot in black and white. I had to guess focus, and since it had a depth of field scale, managed to figure out the concept of hyperfocal distance without much difficulty. Dad also taught me to use a light meter (a Sekonic 86 Auto-Lumi), so I learned the interrelationship of film speed, shutter speed, and f/stop. Strangely enough, I never learned the sunny sixteen rule until much later in life.
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought my first camera, a Polaroid Super Shooter in 1975 when I was 14. I saved up money I earned from delivering newspapers. I think I bought a pack of film a week. As soon the good folks at the local Brooks drug store saw coming me they would turn around and get ready to get a pack of color or black and white depending on how much money I had that week.
    Last edited by Chrismat; 03-01-2013 at 09:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

My first camera was a Kodak Brownie World's Fair Flash Camera, released for the New York fair. My first real camera was a Minolta SRT-102, which I sometimes wish I still had.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin