Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,901   Posts: 1,555,802   Online: 793

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotting ?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Spotting ?

Yes, yet another question from me....I was wondering if anyone had any tips for successful spotting of B&W prints. I know how to do it...but since I haven't really done it all that often....I am not the greatest and its kind of annoying. I'm not really sure what else there would be to it, besides what I already know...but its worth a shot.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use either Spotone #3 or Veronica Cass Mauve predominantly. Small brush (4/0)...apply the dye with an almost dry brush. One can always darken with subsequent applications. In other words build to the desired tonal value.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got my first set of "Spot Pens" a few days ago. So far I'm quite pleased.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So how do these "spot pens" work....I am assuming more like a pen than a brush. What about diluting the color?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They work like fine-point markers. They come in 10 different shades of grey and can be "built up" to match the surrounding color just like spot tone. I find them to be much easier to work with than the traditional brush & liquid. Here is Calumet's page on them:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?PAGE....itemNo=BR1141

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Bruce...I will check it out right now!

---- Okay...I checked them and think I am going to give them a try...they definitely seem like they would be easier to work with than a brush...thanks again.

Shooter
    35mm

A different sugesstion.

If you are customer at a mini lab check to see if they will spot prints for you. I am in Milwaukee Wi and use the services of a young lady who is employed at a MOTO-Foto and who is very good at spotting prints and does it yery inexpensively.

Images
    It doesn't have to be perfect, just so it doesn't draw attention.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use spotone, but am unhappy with them. The fact that some change color with dillution annoyed me to the point of blind fury with one print where I needed the olive to remain olive. I thought my eyes were lying to me when it went blueish, but have heard others grumble the same. The print was on polywarmtone lightly selenium tones, so I needed to use brown along with olive. However, the Olive was not playing....

Finding a replacement which can be blended and mixed is something I need to do, tho the spotone has been great 98% of the time, when more neutral tones are involved. Blue from Olive, still has me baffled!!!!!!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a similar problem...that is the reason for posting my question...I have been using Marshall's Spot All - neutral black....and I did everything exactly how it was suppose to be done..the color was even lighter than the tone in the print, to avoid making darker spots...and then it changed color as soon as it was put on the print.
    and from my experience...it is not invisible when it drys..even when its the blackest black and the colors should match...to my eyes at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin