Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,149   Online: 895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

What's wrong with my film? it has white spots... does it have film-pox?

Hey guys, so... I've developed my first roll of Efke100 and it has all these little white spots... ignore the image I just cropped an area that showed a good amount, they are all over every frame... what's going on?

Any help would be welcome, thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Efke100-crop.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	65332

~Stone

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Processing error, possibly foreign body splatter while the film was wet. Inspect the film edgewise to see if there are particles stuck to it. I've never used that film. What was the developer and how was it mixed? Being white on the positive image the spots would be caused by something that blocked the light. You might try cleaning the film with something like PEC 12, refix and rewash. Be sure to dry it in a dust-free environment.
    That's the best I can come up with.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to Efke. You've got to take the good with the bad. I do occasionally get sheets that have similar issues. It always seems excessive to be just dust on my end of things. So I assume it's some production issue or something that happened in the film dryer at my lab. You like spotting, don't you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is this 120?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Is this 120?
    This is 127 dated to expire in 2015

An thanks other poster, I assumed maybe it was just an "efke" ™ but wasn't sure lol

It's the stuff freestyle still has on tap.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    Processing error, possibly foreign body splatter while the film was wet. Inspect the film edgewise to see if there are particles stuck to it. I've never used that film. What was the developer and how was it mixed? Being white on the positive image the spots would be caused by something that blocked the light. You might try cleaning the film with something like PEC 12, refix and rewash. Be sure to dry it in a dust-free environment.
    That's the best I can come up with.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/
    Others have said its probably an efke affect and I tend to believe that, my process hasn't changed at all and I'm VERY careful about processing.

It's developed in Rodinal 1+50 for 11:30 minutes. 1 minute 30 seconds longer than the massive dev chart, I did this because its often wrong by a minute for my tastes when it comes to Rodinal.

Thanks.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had this with the one roll of Efke 127 film I have ever used - about six months ago. I had it developed professionally and that lab has never let me down before so I have been blaming Efke.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Do you use tap water or distilled to mix your chemicals? I seem to remember getting some defects on my negatives prior to switching to distilled. Never really knew if the tap water was to blame, but with the distilled I have never seen an issue.
    Regards,
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I looked at the OP's gallery! (see it's good to have a few images up!).....And they are experienced...
    My first thought might have been old camera being used without a thorough cleaning, but in this case the film sounds suspect... unless did you use a recently acquired unclean camera?

Thanks for the heads up about Efke issues.... lower price isn't worth this kind of trouble.

Edit...
    I am dyslexic in numbers and tones...
    ... yep black threads ruining skies in 4x5 prints from negatives...
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 03-07-2013 at 10:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dirty old cameras generally show the dirt mostly on the first few frames (yeah, been there) and will show as black on the print (the dirt stops the emulsion being exposed). That dirt would be washed off in development. White on the print means dirt on the film after exposure - or faulty emulsion. My thought is that it is spots where the silver halide in the emulsion has been sensitised during manufacture, perhaps by static.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin