Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,894   Online: 1078

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    What would you recommend to young photographers that look for a very portable, lightweight solution?
    Induro carbon fiber. Half the price of Gitzo, nearly the same weight. Very nicely made. I bought one last year to replace my two-ton Bogen 3001. I suspect they're durable as long as you don't drop them on a large outcrop of granite.

My first tripod was a Slik, with aluminum channels for legs. Bought almost 30 years ago. Very inexpensive. Nice and light, and utterly useless for holding anything steady. Gave it away a year later. You get what you pay for.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Reis isn't a low-cost option, but if you look at one up close next to a Berlebach, you can see the difference.
    As I said, they seem to be similar to the costly Berlebach UNI tripods.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    Today you can buy numerous brands of tripods, most of them are relatively cheap, not all of them are stable, and future will tell how long they will survive of they are used often.

Most beginners ask for a cheap, lightweight, stable tripod, though getting all these features in one tripod is quite impossible.

Which old tripods would you recommend in terms of stability and usability if beginners so not have a big budget and are at risk buying a cheap, shaky tripod that will not hold their camera steady? Which are most likely useful after many years and will work for many more years?
    I collected some names and hope you can add some more:

- Linhof tripods in general (Rekord, Rekord Profil)
    - Gitzo Gilux Reporter
    - Velbon Aluminium tripods from the 1970s
    - Berlebach ash wood tripods
    - Pentacon tripod, a good choice for macro photography
    - Benbo tripods
    Tiltall, the Marchioni or Leitz versions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like Manfrotto/Bogen tripods. I have Bogen 3021 that's 30 years old. It's battle scarred, covered with gaffers tape. I've replace various parts through out the years and it
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format

Eternal Tripods?

Love my CF Feisol. Light, tall, very small when folded so I take it with me overseas. Quiet stable too, of course, not as great as a heavy tripod, especially in very windy weather. It does have a hook so I can hang my camera bag from it for extra stability.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Am I the only person who hates, hates, hates Tiltalls?

do not like them...at all

wouldn't even take one if offered for free

DO, however like Linhof, quick-set hercules, majestic.. also gitzo and some bogen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    Induro carbon fiber. Half the price of Gitzo, nearly the same weight. Very nicely made. I bought one last year to replace my two-ton Bogen 3001. I suspect they're durable as long as you don't drop them on a large outcrop of granite.

My first tripod was a Slik, with aluminum channels for legs. Bought almost 30 years ago. Very inexpensive. Nice and light, and utterly useless for holding anything steady. Gave it away a year later. You get what you pay for.
    I had my Induro carbon fiber tripod fall 10 feet onto rocks at the top of a waterfall, then go over a 20' high waterfall, with my whole plate camera still attached. It came out of the experience unscathed (the camera, not so much). The tripod even floated.

They're a relative bargain - much cheaper than a comparable Gitzo, but they're still not cheap. My vote for a tripod for someone on a budget would be an aluminum Bogen/Manfrotto. They're sturdy, inexpensive, and don't weigh a ton.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For my 8x10 I use a Camera Equipment Co. wood tripod, mine has a heavy-as-sin Pro. Junior pan and tilt head which I have been threatening to replace with a clamshell for about 20 years. It weighs with the current head 15.84 pounds, and will support me balancing on the 4"x6" platform on my stomach. I believe the legs are ash.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Best USA made tripod - Ries, why settle for anything less?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rmann View Post
    Best USA made tripod - Ries, why settle for anything less?
    Why, is the U.S.A. the only place in the World where quality tripods are made ?.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-16-2013 at 07:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin