Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,606   Online: 882

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have owned both the Marchioni and Leitz branded Tiltalls and still have a newer version(non Star-D) that are seriously reliable and not too awfully heavy. These have all served to support Calumet cc-4xx series monos and all my other gear as well. I purchased an Induro AKB-2 for my last CC-401 and love the thing, much lighter than the Tiltalls and easier to set up, rated for twice the load too. I never took it out in the field, as I prefer to abuse my Tiltall for that, submerge in water and dirt and still functions as it should.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rmann View Post
    Best USA made tripod - Ries, why settle for anything less?
    when's the last time you priced a Ries? They might be great tripods, but they're a major spend, even used... The OP was asking for a good BUDGET tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    when's the last time you priced a Ries? They might be great tripods, but they're a major spend, even used... The OP was asking for a good BUDGET tripod.
    The CeCo I referred to above is every bit as good as a Ries, wieghs about the same if fitted with a clamshell head, and cost a hundred bucks with a ball-bearing pan tilt head (that would cost serious cash today). I'll never need another. But I really do need to make that lightweight head...

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    Love my CF Feisol. Light, tall, very small when folded so I take it with me overseas.
    Yeah, me too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Why, is the U.S.A. the only place in the World where quality tripods are made ?.
    I don't thing that is what was meant. Rather, older products made in the USA, UK, Germany, etc are better than the Chinese imports.

Things may change. Maybe the imports get better or maybe the more expensive good stuff is no longer made. JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    I don't thing that is what was meant. Rather, older products made in the USA, UK, Germany, etc are better than the Chinese imports.

Things may change. Maybe the imports get better or maybe the more expensive good stuff is no longer made. JMHO
    They used to say the same thing about Japanese imports years ago until they got their foot in the door with better, cheaper and more reliable products, they also used to think that little yellow men all had poor eyesight, and couldn't fight until they conquered nearly all of South East Asia in WW11. I have bought many household items in recent years that were made in China, and I can't say in all honesty that they have been in any way inferior.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-16-2013 at 01:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One good budget tripod I've encountered is the Slik 500dx. It's not light, but it's rigid. The 700dx costs more, but is taller. Also good.
    Another good tripod at a good price is Giottos. I have a large aluminum one with a tilt column which I use for macro with medium format, and I have been pleased with it. Most models are available in either carbon fiber or aluminum, and with twist locks or flip locks.

I also have a CF Feisol that I like a great deal, though I wouldn't call it budget, except compared to a Gitzo. It gives very good value for the price.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another option would be a used ALUMINUM Gitzo legset. They did make metal tripods back when nobody made carbon tripods, and they're generally bulletproof items. Make sure to inspect them in person, though, as a lot of old Gitzos have seen very heavy professional use and are a bit sloppy from wear. But if in generally good shape, they'll not fail on you, and frankly, even when they're worn, they tend to be a lot more solid than they'd suggest by appearances.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Buy it once, use it for a life time. To me that is a good use of $$, better than going through a series of purchases. Not many on the used market speaks to the owners satisfaction not the quality of a Ries. Even new they are less than most carbon tripods. A Ries will never get jammed with sand or dirt, salt water is not a problem, super easy to clean the legs. Hardware is metal and easy to maintain. Legs dampen vibration as well as any material and do not have preset stops so it can handle any type of terrain easily. Costumer service is outstanding, in the unlikely case you need it. And if it is not "your tripod" they hold their resale value better than most other brands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rmann View Post
    Buy it once, use it for a life time. To me that is a good use of $$,.
    Which is fine, if you have the $$.

If you don't have the $$ ... well, as I think someone else said, no tripod at all is much less stable than any cheap tripod.

Not everyone can spend the equivalent of two or three month's rent on a tripod.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin