Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,563   Online: 1058

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Where can I get the sticker?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post
    Although possibly expensive and difficult to find (I'm not sure), I use a Voitlander VCII meter. It's a small meter and fits into a hot/cold shoe nicely, and takes 2 LR44 batteries. Fire and Forget for me .. since I'm not that good at fiddling with light meters.
    B&H carries the hot shoe mounted Voitlander meters.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCrabtree View Post
    Where can I get the sticker?
    It's sort of a Saturday project.

There are mock-ups in many Zone System books. I sat down and cut chips off a printed step wedge. Then followed the layout in Minor White's booklet. You really don't "need" to precisely find the 10 actual print tones. Find any scrap print with some smooth tones that you can cut small chips that divide "visually" into 10 different values from black to white.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    It's sort of a Saturday project.

There are mock-ups in many Zone System books. I sat down and cut chips off a printed step wedge. Then followed the layout in Minor White's booklet. You really don't "need" to precisely find the 10 actual print tones. Find any scrap print with some smooth tones that you can cut small chips that divide "visually" into 10 different values from black to white.
    Do you have a picture of it?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes Bill, please send a picture !

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format

Back to the original question from "Blooze"

Quote Originally Posted by Aron View Post
    I would humbly suggest to do a Google search, not to find the right answer, but to see, everyone will recomend his trusted unit and there are many good ones. This question comes up often and like with many of our tools we are in the fortunate situation that we can base our choice almost purely on ergonomics without worrying about "performance".

I'd suggest an incident/reflective meter that has a Silicon Blue Cell and takes modern batteries for sake of consistency, like the Sekonic L308, but lots of people use selenium meters. The fewer buttons, the better it is for me.
    I would agree to get a unit with the Silicon Blue Cell (SBC) and the modern battery comment also.

Lots of contributors to this thread will offer their favorites as your "go-to" answer, so here is mine. I have used Gossen products for over 20 years, either as a primary exposure resource or a backup or incident option. The nice part of the Gossen units I have used is the "system" aspect of buying accessories that fit newer and older models. I recently sourced a Gossen Luna-Pro F (F includes flash measurement) that uses a standard 9V battery (think smoke alarm) and can use the variable spot attachment from my earlier Luna-Pro/Luna-Six for extra versatility, and with the SBC advantages. You can meter in incident and reflected modes, the wireless flash option is there if you would ever need it (or the next owner), it is very accurate, and lots of cheaply sourced accessories are available on the net.

Over the last 90 days I have seen the Gossen Luna-Pro F series trade on eBay between the $40 and $60 dollar range in what appears to be good condition, and with the demise of analog the system attachments for extra functionality are going for cents on the $ in some cases. It is a good system approach to light metering that I have had luck with historically.

Do your homework, decide what is important to you related to features, and go forward. It has never been cheaper to pick up quality metering gear than it is today.

Stay Safe!

FL Guy

Shooter
    35mm

Light meter suggestion for a new user.

I agree with the Gossen recomendation. I have had LunaSix 3S and LunaPro F and both were very good. As already said, they are cheap to buy at the moment. I preferred LunaPro F as it has a zeroing scale and is easier to use. It also uses the easy to replace 9v cell. I am using a DigiPro F now which is more modern, digital readout and AA cell. It is an excellent meter which does incident, reflected and flash readings.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I had a Gossen Luna-Pro SBC given to me the other day from a very charitable fellow. Everything seems to function, although I don't know if the readings are correct. He received it in a box of other gear he purchased years ago and never had a use for it. This should get me going quite nicely I think!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Blooze View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I had a Gossen Luna-Pro SBC given to me the other day from a very charitable fellow. Everything seems to function, although I don't know if the readings are correct. He received it in a box of other gear he purchased years ago and never had a use for it. This should get me going quite nicely I think!
    Blooze:

Congrats on your gift. I think the SBC has the same functionality as my F except for the built-in flash capability. All of the earlier model attachments work with it and I think it is a 9V battery also. If you don't have a manual you can find them online (or check the Gossen site), read up on the procedure for zeroing the needle and then test away!

Stay Safe!

FL Guy

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, zeroed the meter, put a fresh battery in, and gave the Luna a go. Compared it against the three 35mm SLR's I have that have built in meters (Pentax MX, MeSuper, and Canon AE-1) and it tended to not come within a couple of stops of any of them using reflected metering in any setting that had decent contrast. Am I assuming correctly that the Gossen is metering a larger area, thus a larger "average", than the center weighted meters of the SLR's? If I'm up very close, say within a couple of feet of a uniformly lit surface the Gossen was more likely to come close or match the SLR's. One thing that was curious is that it matched an old Nikon D40 dslr set on matrix metering and the same iso every time without fail. Although I've never used a handheld meter before I'm assuming that with reflected readings I will have to adjust my exposure mentally to try and capture what I want since the Gossen reads such a wide area. Incident readings may work fairly well in my location since it's flat, no trees, and the sun tends to hit everything the same way. Any suggestions or advice you may want to provide will be gratefully accepted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin