Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,944   Online: 929

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Where to register domain name?

What is the official web site to register or park a domain name?
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use register.com to register (and own) a domain.

Images
    DOes this mean the cameras will be coming soon?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    What is the official web site to register or park a domain name?
    There is no official site as such (though networksolutions would like you to think they are...).

There are dozens of popular places. Your best bet is probably your existing ISP or, if you intend a high(ish)-bandwidth web site, the company that will provide your hosting package will probably throw in domain registration either as part of the package or for a few dollars extra per year.

Be careful of the very low cost ones as some charge you $20 or so if you want to transfer the domain away from their servers at a later date. I can't recommend any US based ones as I use UK ones (www.clara.net & www.freevirtualservers.com) - not that you HAVE to use a US one if you are in the US, it just makes payment easier.

It's worth doing some research so you know what your options are (for example, do you want .com, .net, .info or .us domain(s)?

Cheers, Bob.

P.S. Don't forget to check APUG's hosting company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try www.1and1.com .
    I signed up for a free 3 year webhosting as they were promoting their entry into the US. Cool. They advertised like $5.99 for domain registry.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    jim

i registered mine through http://www.hostway.com .
    they will customer service you to death

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

domain registrars (Maybe Sean could move this thread to The Lounge)

There are hundreds of ICANN-sanctioned registrars, many or most of which offer a "parking" service. Parking isn't necessary unless you've already told someone about the domain and want to have some kind of content there.

I can highly recommend easydns.com as both a registrar and a DNS provider.

I would urge you to stay as far away from networksolutions.com as you can. Hideous customer service and responsiveness. Once upon a time, they were the only game in town. Hasn't been that way for quite a while, but they still act like it.

A list of all registrars is available from a link at www.internic.net.

Most registrars have help information and a list of frequently-asked questions and answers, but heavily weighted toward using their service. Maybe if someone knows of a good neutral tutorial on domain registration and website setup, they could chime in.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My wife owns and operates our web business www.flatheadvalley.com and we have always recommended www.godaddy.com to our customers, we have found them very helpful, reasonable on pricing and never had them hold a domain hostage, which allot of the other registars do, I would agree, stay away from network solutions, they have been the big bully in the domain name world for a long time now.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too have registered with 1and1.com on the recommendation of quite a few friends who all speak very highly of the service and backup and they are quite inexpensive.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another vote for godaddy.com. Easy and cheap; a winning combination.

Cheers,

James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin