Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,639   Online: 803

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have several Master IIs, and some are still accurate enough for regular use. Aside from selenium cell deterioration, the most common problem may be imbalance of the armature. To check for this, cover the cell and rotate the meter with its dial in a vertical plane. The needle should remain on zero. If it moves as you rotate the meter, the armature is unbalanced. I've used meters with this problem by holding the meter so the imbalance is nulled out. If the needle remains steady but off of the zero point, that can be corrected by a screw on the back of the meter. Norwood and GE also made selenium cell meters that I find still useful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Catman, Quality Light Metric has been mentioned once, I think, so far in this thread. There's a law of nature that a newly purchased used light meter is always off calibration.

QLM does outstanding work, here's http://www.whitepages.com/business/q...s-angeles-ca-1 a link with their contact information.

If you want to use the meter, have it overhauled properly, don't go for any of the half-assed expedients that we all love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    ... Aside from selenium cell deterioration, the most common problem may be imbalance of the armature. ...
    The other common problem is oxidization of the contact strip on the back side of the selenium cell. Some folks have DIY repaired non-working Westons by disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. Some have even had "accurate-enough" working meters result from this "half-assed expedient".

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Catman, Quality Light Metric has been mentioned once, I think, so far in this thread. There's a law of nature that a newly purchased used light meter is always off calibration.

QLM does outstanding work, here's http://www.whitepages.com/business/q...s-angeles-ca-1 a link with their contact information.

If you want to use the meter, have it overhauled properly, don't go for any of the half-assed expedients that we all love.
    How much do they typically charge for such work? I imagine not inexpensive as it's hard to make a living if they were to charge not too much. How much is the cost compared to buying a new meter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    How much do they typically charge for such work? I imagine not inexpensive as it's hard to make a living if they were to charge not too much. How much is the cost compared to buying a new meter?
    Hi Chan, when I had George at QLM refurb my Master V, the cost, including shipping both ways, was around $100 US. He does excellent work, and actually called me twice, once to verify he received it, and three days later, to let me know it was finished, and on its' way home.

Griz
    Get out and shoot!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Weston Master, the original version, lovely bakelite case and a nice heft to it. I love using it, both of my "modern" meters have gone on the fritz, This one just keeps on going. BTW on this one if you're using series VI filters you can check the exposure factor easily -if you've forgotten what it is. They fit perfectly in the recessed cell area.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have a Weston Master II, which I have had for many years but seldom used. I also have an invacone for it and a clip-in neutral density filter that if required you can clip in underneath the invacone when the flap with the holes in it is clipped open.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I spoke to George about 8 or 10 years ago and asked that question. My memory remembers $60 to $80 for a complete overhaul and calibration. Too much for me, so I threw it out and bought another on ebay that metered good enough.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I spoke to George about 8 or 10 years ago and asked that question. My memory remembers $60 to $80 for a complete overhaul and calibration. Too much for me, so I threw it out and bought another on ebay that metered good enough.
    For almost $100 to repair the Weston Master II plus a few dollars to buy the meter. I think I rather buy a Gossen Digisix or the Sekonic L-208 for a bit over $100. I know many here swear by the Weston accuracy but I never thought so but then I only had 1 Weston Master II. May be I have a bad sample.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've a similar meter (it may be the same, but it's in a very inaccessible spot in the spare room right now so I can't check). It seems as accurate as the built-in meters of two early 80s cameras I have. What are the odds all three are off by the same amount?

It is a very nice meter, though if you are not in bright light, the dials can be a bit difficult to read (in other words, I may need bifocals).
    Truzi

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin