Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,704   Online: 946

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tested the meter tonight. It's accurate. It's pretty amazing for it's age. No batteries needed! A bargain for $6.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have bought several second-hand Weston meters and they have not worked for long - they seem to be particularly fragile. At least compared to my Ikophot and Leningrad meters which I have had for several years now and both get regular use. And both are in agreement with my modern Canon 650D's internal meter so I can see no need to pay for calibration.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    For almost $100 to repair the Weston Master II plus a few dollars to buy the meter. I think I rather buy a ...
    Ha ha ha... Chan, you and I seem to think alike. After getting that bid I threw out the bad meter, bought a replacement that worked, and then spent $500 on a Sekonic L-558. Much better than spending $100 fixing up an old meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    I have bought several second-hand Weston meters and they have not worked for long - they seem to be particularly fragile. At least compared to my Ikophot and Leningrad meters which I have had for several years now and both get regular use. And both are in agreement with my modern Canon 650D's internal meter so I can see no need to pay for calibration.
    That's wierd, really wierd. I got a Master III sometime around 1985~ and liked it so much I bought another, new-in-box, as a spare. Well, I'm still using that first one, and it's still accurate. Wierd.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Weston Master III I used in the 1960s survived much abuse. The meter glass got bashed in, and the only handy replacement was a fragment of a broken ground glass. This might have been the only Weston Master III with a non-glare meter, which was no improvement. The calculator dial got broken off, but calculating the shutter speed and aperture from the meter reading involves only basic math. The meter was otherwise working fine when the camera kit was stolen in 1969. The last time I checked, one Weston Master from the 1930s was still accurate, but the Master II and III are more compact and sensitive. A bit of history: the company that made the Weston meters was founded by an engineer named Edward Weston, no relative to the photographer Edward H. Weston.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. Weston meters are sure tough. They seem to work under low light also. Amazing old and robust technology.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Wow. Weston meters are sure tough. They seem to work under low light also. Amazing old and robust technology.
    In their day they were state-of-the-art. My very first meter ca. 1973-4 was a 1930s Weston, which I used with a Kodak 35, Kodachrome, and High-Speed Ektachrome. I still have those transparencies, and that meter did a damn good job when I used it correctly. I still have the meter, too.
    The Invercone is a handy accessory, if you find one at a reasonable price grab it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here's the sticker and the page of Minor White's booklet with a picture of it.

I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and inadvertently made a Master III sized sticker, so I lose a little precision. But in the end, I think once you start placing Zone I and IX you are leaving the realm of "accuracy" anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    I will have to take out my Weston Master II tomorrow and check how accurate it is. I got it for $5 I think. I checked it before and vaguely remember that it's not bad but not accurate. My question is if I were to calibrate the meter then the number that the pointer is pointing at is the brightness in cd/ft^2 ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The calculator dial got broken off, but calculating the shutter speed and aperture from the meter reading involves only basic math.
    Or basic remembering.

The 400 position is f16 in the Sunny 16 rule.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin