Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,582   Online: 1156

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bought a Weston Master II over the weekend

I Bought a Weston Master II over the weekend for $6 at the thrift store. I seems to work. Does anybody have experience with one? It looks like it's it excellent condition.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've seen a lot of those old Weston meters, but none of them were accurate anymore. The Selenium cells were worn out, so they didn't read high enough. They were neat meters, with a great calculator dial that had marks for the highlight and shadow placements. An incident light dome that looks like an inverted cone was made for them; as the description suggests, Weston called the attachment an Invercone!
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a Westonmaster II and a couple of III's. I think they are awesome and trust them as much as any modern camera matrix or center weighted meter. Obviously, the best way to see what you think is to take it for a spin and see what results you get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey thanks! I'll have to take it for a spin and compare it to my new Sekonic. With all this new solar technology, I'm surprised that camera manufacturers don't make an updated version with photovoltiacs. I have a selenium cell meter on my Zeiss Super Ikonta IV still works well. It's not coupled with my camera though.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a II. The II uses the weston scale not ASA. Weston = 0.8 asa so 320 weston = 400 asa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still use a Weston III (two of them). Just check it against a meter known to be relibale and if it works OK then use and enjoy it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a Master II w/invercone. I had the cell replaced and calibrated by Quality Light Metric. It works great. I get a few questions about it every time I use it in public.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Looks like we need to start a group.

Rushed out the door yesterday and grabbed the Weston II and some Pentax gear for a dayhike with some kids... They didn't even see it. Guess it looks enough like a compass or cell phone, it didn't draw any attention.

MartinCrabtree, I'll try to post pictures of the Zone System dial for you.

A cool thing about the old meters, when you hear of Tungsten speeds versus Daylight speeds, yeah - these meters are to blame for that. Have you seen how that needle dances when you get it near a light bulb. But the fact it is more sensitive in Tungsten isn't a serious problem, it's just something to get used to. In low light, meter a white sheet of paper and compensate...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a couple of IIIs which are accurate.

For many years my father was a weekend wedding photographer and a week day central heating engineer. Apart from light meters, Sangamo Weston also made central heating timers.

Every time their sales representative called, he would bring my father a new meter.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Weston Euro master 11, it's still accurate but Iv'e retired it to my sock draw together with my Gossen Lunapro SBC for the present because I prefer my modern digital meters.
    Ben

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin