Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,212   Online: 887

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    She's a Canon 5d shooter... her dad must have bought it for her so she could be a photographer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Remind her that fast lenses were originally developed to allow more light in when there was little, without resorting to loooong exposures, especially handheld. It is only recently, after Leica figured out that there was a huge market in catering to fools who believe that a lens should ALWAYS be used WIDE OPEN, even in the middle of the day, just because it looks cool with all that "bokeh" and 3D pop (God I hate that term), even though the resulting images are usually total shit, that fast lenses have been selling like hot cakes.
    Max, with due respect I don't believe that most Leica users (me included) shoot at full aperture, or that Leitz took this into consideration within their marketing plans.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remind her that fast lenses (for 35mm) were originally developed to allow more light in when there was little, without resorting to loooong exposures, especially handheld. It is only recently, after Leica figured out that there was a huge market in catering to fools who believe that a lens should ALWAYS be used WIDE OPEN, even in the middle of the day, just because it looks cool with all that "bokeh" and 3D pop (God I hate that term), even though the resulting images are usually total shit, that fast lenses have been selling like hot cakes.
    +1
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At least she isn't asking: "Can we fix it in post?"
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Clive, then you must be out of touch I am obviously not referring to you, or myself for that matter, but most digital shooters, (which make up the vast majority of Leica buyers these days) buy fast lenses to shoot them wide open all the time. If you care to check most sharing sites, you will see what I mean. I'm telling you, it's epidemic

Just ask ANYONE who owns the new Noctilux .95 ($11,000) and ask them why they bought it. I bet you the $11,000 that the answer is not because they can't shoot at ungodly speeds when there is no light, but because they like to put a ND10 in front of it and shoot it at high noon in full sun at .95 to get that "bokah"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Clive, then you must be out of touch I am obviously not referring to you, or myself for that matter, but most digital shooters, (which make up the vast majority of Leica buyers these days) buy fast lenses to shoot them wide open all the time. If you care to check most sharing sites, you will see what I mean. I'm telling you, it's epidemic

Just ask ANYONE who owns the new Noctilux .95 ($11,000) and ask them why they bought it. I bet you the $11,000 that the answer is not because they can't shoot at ungodly speeds when there is no light, but because they like to put a ND10 in front of it and shoot it at high noon in full sun at .95 to get that "bokah"
    LOL
    just go to flickr and search welder's goggles filter

but the bookqua is so nice at .95!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Max, you could be correct, as I did not think about digital shooters. I am still finding it difficult to equate digital technology in relation to Leica which is a camera system that goes back so many years.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Unbelivers- the best bohkens can only be achieved by becoming one with the zero, with the asymptotic lens, the F/0. Believe.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Max, you could be correct, as I did not think about digital shooters. I am still finding it difficult to equate digital technology in relation to Leica which is a camera system that goes back so many years.
    Clive,

Trust me, I have the same issue. The reality is that for Leica to survive in this brave new world, they have to play the game very differently. Having said that, I've fallen for the same fast lens gimmicks a few years back, but I am happy to say that I have grown a bit as a photographer. I think many go through it, and eventually realize that aperture should be at the service of the image, vision and mostly about necessity (for 35mm anyway).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    LOL
    just go to flickr and search welder's goggles filter

but the bookqua is so nice at .95!
    Yeah!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin