Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,888   Posts: 1,520,744   Online: 1099

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    My last post... I have some technical certifications, a bachelor degree in photojournalism, and 3/4 of a Master's in Art... and never was the word Bokeh uttered till 2007 or so.
    From wiki
    The English spelling bokeh was popularized in 1997 in Photo Techniques magazine, when Mike Johnston, the editor at the time, commissioned three papers on the topic for the March/April 1997 issue; he altered the spelling to suggest the correct pronunciation to English speakers, saying "it is properly pronounced with bo as in bone and ke as in Kenneth, with equal stress on either syllable
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    I know a guy who fancies himself a bird photographer. He's not bad, actually.
    He showed me some photos of a fairly rare bird, in these parts. (Trumpeter swan. Itinerants that don't usually nest here.)
    It was a pretty good photo.

But I took one look at it and asked him if he used a catadioptric lens.
    "A cata-what-ic?"
    "Catadioptric... Like a miniature telescope. With a mirror inside"
    "How did you know?"

I told him that those mirror lenses are known to produce ring-shaped halos around highlights.

"Oh, you mean bokeh," he said, "I thought that was cool."

The guy knows his birds, though. Better than anybody else I know.
    Well he was right on both counts.
    That IS what Bokeh is.
    And HE thought it was cool.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    She spoke about wanting to get Photoshop (complained it's too expensive) but want's to do "tilt shift" in photoshop....

......ANd she says she doesn't like JAZZ either... I listen to it all day.....

........ at least my 17 year-old and I have 1950-1970's Jazz, Steely Dan, Rush, and Yes in common.
    Tilt shift... Get the little twit a Sinar and some Hot Club of France CDs, lock her in a room with them telling her she can come out when she can discuss the one and use the other.
    That should either shock her into reality or render her in a persistent vegetative state.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 03-22-2013 at 02:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

She says 1.4 bohka "is the best". ----

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Well he was right on both counts.
    That IS what Bokeh is.
    And HE thought it was cool.
    Well, bokeh (or blurred highlights) can be cool if you plan it into the composition, hopefully at the time of taking the photo but certainly when making the final print. That assumes that the photographer has some idea how to create bokeh when he wants it. That does not mean that you open your aperture all the way then hope that every highlight beyond field of focus turns into sea of donuts.

If you want to have a sea of donuts, MAKE a sea of donuts. Don't just shoot fifty frames them delete forty nine, hoping to get the one shot with the most donutty goodness.

Stop and think for a second and you might realize that, if you try, you might be able to make an angelic halo appear over somebody's head. Now, THAT would be cool bokeh! You didn't even have to use Photoshop to do it.

Maybe, someday, it might be fun to tinker but I'm not about to spend a boatload of money on a lens just for making donuts.

P.S. The guy's picture was not a sea of donuts. Just one or two annular highlights in the background. I just said that as an example.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the fetish for shallow DoF is driven by frustration over slow zooms on SLR kits and small digi sensors.

I've never heard anyone attempt to say 'bokeh' so I wonder if it is correct to say it like 'bouquet' or 'bok-ay'
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bo like you would say OOOOooooooohhhh!
    Keh like KEnneth

"Bo-kke"
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

It's a loan word from Japanese.

Often pronounced so as to rhyme with the way a person with a New York City accent would say "poker." Not quite the way it is pronounced in Japan but close enough. Besides, this is America. We should speak 'Merikan, not Jap'neez.

I prefer to say "blur." That's supposed to be what "bokeh" means in Japanese... But it also means "senile" or "crazy."
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    We're all learning.

Shooter
    35mm

I thought the original post was really funny. I take it that was how it was intended ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rorye View Post
    We're all learning.
    Yes we are-

We're learning which bokeh is best.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin