Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,411   Online: 992

Shooter
    Multi Format

Manfrotto panhead

Umm... I just discovered I've a Manfrotto 3-way panhead (#3047).

It is completely unused, still in the box. I have no idea why I have it, lol. Either it was given to me by a relative, or I got it cheap many years ago with the intention of using it. Either way, I'd forgotten about it until I cleaned my closet today.

Obviously I need to put it to use. I have a couple tripods that were my grandfather's, he used them for 35mm. They are in good repair, but I don't know if this head needs something substantial, or if I can attach it to just anything that will accept it.

My main camera is a Sears KS-2 (rebranded Ricoh XR-7), but I recently made the mistake of purchasing a Bronica GS-1; a mistake because I feel compelled to purchase all sorts of accessories for it.

I can handle the basic function of this head, but are there any suggestions on how well these work, any quirks, and whether I need a decent/specific tripod?

Sorry, it is NOT for sale.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 3047 on a 3011 tripod, its a great head for heavy cameras like the GS-1. The 3011 or 3021 are the lightest Manfrotto tripods I'd put it on, it is heavy.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a 3047 on a Bogen 3035 tripod and while it is heavy it will support any of my equipment including a 4x5 and Hasselblad with a 350+2x. Somewhere along the line i changed the handles to the ones with a thicker grip and that made a positive improvement.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find a three way pan head I like using in the studio, particualrly with 4x5, when doing camera movements. Otehrwise, I prefere using a nice ball head.

I am presuming that you have the quick release version.

I do like the hex shaped version, and glad I standardized on it. It is overkill for 35mm, but rock solid on MF and larger cameras.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, it has the hex quick-release.

Well, I don't remember how I got this thing, but I think I know why I've not used it. Those tripods are expensive
    Just pulled out my Grandfather's tripod (I don't use tripods much) - Quantaray Titan II QT II-150 Traveler. That's not going to work, lol.

This means I have to add one more thing to the list of stuff I can't afford for the Bronica.
    Truzi

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin