Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,244   Posts: 1,680,189   Online: 953

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    So now I know! OK, I wasn't thinking about the cost - with 35mm, that is negligible but I understand that with larger formats it will get expensive.
    Not so much about the cost. When you test on film and you got good exposure are you sure that your shutter speed is correct? May be you would say you don't care as long as you get good exposure. What if you get bad exposure how do you know it's because the shutter speed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not a professional shutter technician and I have a Calumet Shutter Tester/Checker. The bottom line here is to know or not to know.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I'm not a professional shutter technician and I have a Calumet Shutter Tester/Checker. The bottom line here is to know or not to know.
    Neither am I but at times I am very tempted to buy one of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYORITSU-ELE...item5654edd145

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Neither am I but at times I am very tempted to buy one of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYORITSU-ELE...item5654edd145
    That would be outstanding!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have one of these Calumet shutter tester. battery has to be replaced.. The instruction manual is a bit rudimentary. Anybody know of a site that gives better info regarding the use of the calumet tester? I want to use it to check the speeds of the focal plane shutters on my Speed Graphics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I do have

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    years ago i got a calumet shutter tester
    i originally got it to test the speeds on my graflex slr ...
    i eventually abandoned the task
    and brought it to someone i know who has a shop
    and we figured out all the speeds using his professional set up ...

this morning i tested some of the speeds on the slr with the calumet tester
    it seemed to work OK ...

does anyone else have one of these gizmos ?
    are they reliable ?
    I do have one of these gizmos and use it to check my lenses every six months or so. So far, so good.
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Years ago I had a Hasselblad lens that needed its shutter checked by a pro. He used an oscilloscope and noticed a slight shutter "bounce" after the shutter closed (i.e., the leaf shutter opened/closed a bit). That could cause a ghost image on film if the subject was illuminated bright enough. A checker like the Calumet cannot detect such an occurrence, but it's still money well spent. Currently it's a bit difficult to find a used one, so I built my own using the one described in Way Before Monochrome, 2nd Ed., which employs a sensor that inputs a signal into my PC where it is processed by Audacity software and indicates a trace similar to an oscilloscope. Since all my lenses are mounted on lensboards for LF work, I made the additional effort to build a setup with MDB material that holds the board vertically and maintains the position of the sensor and light source relative to the lens; that way I can fire the shutter multiple times for a consistency check. All the ACTUAL speeds are then labeled and stuck on the lensboard of each lens. Frequent rechecks are easily done, so I know when performance is changing. An inconsistent shutter then gets a CLA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using some kind of tester, even a creatively engineered one like silveror0 describes, is probably the only way to "calibrate" the nutcase holding the squeeze bulb to a Packard shutter
    Any other way would cost too much in film and time.

Shooter
    35mm
    Is this tester of any use in timing individual curtain speed? If not, can you name an affordable one that is? Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by APUGuser19 View Post
    Is this tester of any use in timing individual curtain speed? If not, can you name an affordable one that is? Thank you.
    Camera shutter tester and curtain tester up to 1/8000th with light source

Regarding affordability, YMMV...

I believe this seller once participate here on APUG. Be sure to click the See other items link, as he has a full range of these devices available at various price points. I have neither purchased nor tested any of them, so cannot personally attest to their effectiveness. I also have no connection whatsoever with the seller.

Note also that the Calumet shutter tester has been discontinued for some time.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 04-22-2015 at 02:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added disclaimer...
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin