Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,434   Online: 1057

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. Thanks!
    The Zuse Z-22? I think there's an app for that now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I watched the video and across the room is my 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar in shutter sleeping in the original wooden box which is shinny black with the Kodak emblem on it. It's like the saying. "how young we were" in the context of technology. So why use those lenses today? See the video and how much craftsmanship went into each and every one. How far apart is that Ektar from my iPhone that I watched it with?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sure lenses are still made with this sort of quality somewhere. It is sad that Americans are not allowed to make them any more ... at one time we led the world in so many things.

I've been using a Kodak Medalist with one of those hand-made Ektars this last week. Excellent glass ...
    Last edited by summicron1; 04-14-2013 at 05:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Basically lenses are made the some way today, except of a bit more robotics, and those precision moulded lenses from plastic or glass-plastic hybrides. The most changes seem to be in the barrel-making. And most important, advanced computing technology.

I rather see this film as a a very good educational film than as documentary of industry history.

The modern version of this film would be this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MKNFW0YwDYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qzpt49qq6v4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6bQ3-DWh-rA
    Last edited by AgX; 04-14-2013 at 06:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very interesting.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    AgX - very true! After watching the modern day videos you have above I am left remembering the old saying:

The more things change the more they stay the same
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It surprises me that no one noticed that the Kodak clip showed them using an ANALOG computer!

They were very accurate and ANALOG!

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I knew, but somehow I did not found it worth mentioning.
    I'm living in the past anyway...

ALL Zuse computers though, from 1938 on, were digital. His first one employed old used cine film for punched tape. Blasphemy!!! That's when the evil started!
    Last edited by AgX; 04-14-2013 at 11:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I noticed the analog computer too, in that timeframe it would have been more accurate than most available digital computers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I noticed the analog computer AND that it was probably filmed during WWII because most of the employees were women and the hair and dress styles.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin