Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,334   Posts: 1,537,515   Online: 1059

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help with Bogen 3047 Head Repair/Tightening

Before I go too far in disassembling, I was hoping for some expertise on this... I've got an old 3047 head on a 3040 leg set. The left/right tilt axis isn't cinching up solidly any more, even with the handle turned very tightly. Looking at it and looking on-line doesn't show any reason for this to be slipping. It appears to be a tapered shaft mount that to get to, would require a very complete disassembly. At that point, I'm not sure what that would do to allow some repair, anyway.

Any ideas on how to firm this connection up? I've got another, working 3047 (newer model) in the drawer to replace it but I'd like to get it working again for some head shuffling I'm embarking upon with other leg sets.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This mechanism looks similar to a head that I have which had the same problem. I unscrewed the handle and put a washer on the shaft. Works fine now.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pop or pry the round indentification plate off. Under it is an Allen head screw. Tighten the screw and it should fix the problem.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Chuck is correct. HOWEVER - when I did so and saw how small that screw was, and how few threads were actually holding the head together, i immediately got rid of all my Bogen tripods. I could just see tramping across the desert with any one of my cameras on the tripod which was being carried over my shoulder, and that tiny little screw deciding to give up the ghost.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, ChuckP... I thought I'd drop a follow-up in case someone finds this thread, looking for the information some day. The tilt angle badge is mounted on three plastic pins, glued into the head. Prying it off revealed the culprit hex bolt that simply needed tightening. I like the older head (pre-1985, I think) without the catch pin on the plate lever and had forgotten that difference until I put the newer head on these legs. Only 30 years of use and already having trouble with this head!
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another thing I did to a 3047. My old 3047 is about as old as yours. So I recently picked up a mint newer model to use as a backup and put it on my backup 3021tripod. Yesterday I had to do a test shot in the backyard and decided to use the backup head and tripod. I noticed that camera was rocking slightly on the head. Not locked down tight enough by the spring loaded arm. Then I noticed that the arm angle was slightly CCW so it didn't fully engage the release plate when sprung into position. I took off the allen headed bolt on the arm, pulled the arm off and noticed that it had splines that engage the lower piece. I rotated the arm CW so that it looked like it would be approx 90 degs to the release plate when sprung. Put the screw back in and it now holds the camera tight when sprung. I forgot about the spring in the bottom piece so I had to fiddle getting it in the proper place when reassembling. I think you could hold the bottom piece in place when pulling off the top arm.Then rotate the arm, put it back into the bottom piece and attach the screw. That way the spring would stay in place and make things easier.

I'm really sure my head came from the factory improperly adjusted. Anyhow this may help someone with a newer head lockdown problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just realized that I stated it was on a 3040 leg set when I meant 3046. The one Lester used to be seated on in the ads. Personally, I'm over-spec for that demonstration.....
    Craig Schroeder

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin