Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,045   Online: 767

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop in Boston

Shooter
    Large Format
    Specifically what types and formats of film would you be looking for? If you're using 35mm color neg and aren't picky about brand, it's not too hard to find a few rolls here and there. 35mm Tri-X and HP5 Plus are common at the camera stores that do continue to stock some film. Once you're looking for any less common emulsion, 120 or larger formats, or transparency film, the pickings get very slim, and you need to plan on going out of your way to find those few stores that still stock.

There is another option if you can plan a few days ahead - you could call Calumet and have them send to their Cambridge store whatever you will need, or call Hunt and have them send what you need to their Harvard Sq or Kenmore Sq location for pickup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter61 View Post
    Well ... Thank you. I was thinking of buying film in Boston but maybe it's better if I take it in Italy, I would not run out of film during my trip to New England
    Since it sounds like you might have some time, you might want to mail order from B&H or Adorama and have it shipped to your hotel in Boston (or wherever you're staying).

From what I've heard, you may also find it a lot cheaper than in Italy. Just make sure you don't bring any back in your checked luggage (due to xray).
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Since it sounds like you might have some time, you might want to mail order from B&H or Adorama and have it shipped to your hotel in Boston (or wherever you're staying).
    B&H won't ship to hotels. I don't know about Adorama.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should have checked before suggesting. But I might still be right - even if accidentally.

B&H's site says they will ship to "any residential address" and to "your business address" for US customers. Further, for US customers, they "do not ship to hotels, motels, resorts, PMB, FedEx or UPS locations".

But for International customers, they say they will ship to "any US address". And so such restriction as to hotels etc.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/Hel...r/Shipping.jsp

Obviously should check with them directly before planning on it.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Agree - if Walter can plan ahead, one way or another it should be possible to get what he needs while he's here. You just can't count any more on being able to walk into a local store on the spur of the moment and find what you're looking for, is all.

Shooter
    35mm
    I saw the prices, are not much different than us.
    Will purchase the films in Germany (macodirect.de).
    My journey will end in New York and from B&H will take the films consumed during my trip in New England.
    Thanks for the tips

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you are pretty well set. Hope you have a good time. What parts of New England are you planning to visit?

As a side note, some of this discussion reminds me of a visit I made to EP Levines a couple of years ago, there was another customer there who had flown in from N. Europe (don't remember what country) specifically to buy some expensive Nikon lens. Apparently even with the plane ticket, hotel and transportation he was saving significant money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin