Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,712   Online: 893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop in Boston

Shooter
    35mm

Shop in Boston

Do you know a shop in Boston where to buy films and photographic material used?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    there are a few of them, some smaller than others
    one great one is just outside of boston in WALTHAM MA. its called E PHILIP LEVINE
    http://www.eplevine.com/

another is also outside of boston in MELROSE, MA
    its called HUNT PHOTO
    http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/

have fun on your trip !

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also, Calumet has reopened its Boston Store (actually Cambridge, but it's all the same to a visitor) It's a short walk from the Lechmere stop on the Green Line, if you're on public transport. I'm partial to E.P. Levine, however, just like jnanian... nice folks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would second the suggestion for Calumet -they have a decent selection of traditional photography materials.
    When I lived in the area I would go to Zeff in Belmont, but I think that they are no longer there or to Newtonville Camera in Newton who were also good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    LOL i can't believe i forgot calumet
    a apug sponsor ..
    i agree
    check them out too !!!

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    By "Boston" do you mean in the city proper and/or very convenient to downtown? Then Calumet in Cambridge is it, probably. They have one small case of film now and a smattering of used equipment. The Hunt branch in Harvard Sq has very little film left; I haven't been by the branch in Kenmore Sq in a while. The mother ship in Melrose is a long subway ride + walk away. EP Levine has some film and generally a large amount of used equipment but is a long way from downtown and very inconvenient to get to if you don't have a car. The pricing on their used gear is wildly uneven, and they'll sometimes let things sit for a very long time without adjusting to market. Some of it is on consignment. Newtonville Camera still has film and also some used equipment, which is overwhelmingly 35mm; they're also far from downtown and inconvenient to get to via public transport.

Likely not relevant to someone visiting from Italy, but with the possible exception of Hunt in Melrose, where I haven't been for a while, all of these are down to a pathetically small selection of darkroom consumables. Newtonville was the least bad last time I looked, but they were shrinking fast, so I wouldn't hazard a guess as to what you'd find there today.

< sigh >
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 05-24-2013 at 07:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    < sigh >

i walked by ye olde ferranti dege shoppe in haaavaaad square on saturday
    and it's been gone for a long time ( since 2006 ) .. it was a film-fixture.
    so if your in cantabrigia don't bother looking for film or cameras or anything there ...

< sigh > x2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i walked by ye olde ferranti dege shoppe in haaavaaad square on saturday
    and it's been gone for a long time ( since 2006 ) .. it was a film-fixture.
    so if your in cantabrigia don't bother looking for film or cameras or anything there ...

< sigh > x2
    Yeah, I used to walk by whenever I was in Harvard Sq just to see what goodies were in the window.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I miss Ferranti Dege in Harvard Square... you could smell the fixer from their lab as you walked by the shop. The old Hunt Drug in Melrose was a good place too.

Bromfield Camera on Bromfield St. has some used film equipment, but they sell it mostly on eBay these days. I second the suggestions for Calumet, Cambridge or EP Levine out in Waltham.
    Last edited by jimrohrer; 05-24-2013 at 09:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well ... Thank you. I was thinking of buying film in Boston but maybe it's better if I take it in Italy, I would not run out of film during my trip to New England

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin