Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,549   Online: 1081

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sold elmar 90/4 and then after some time I needed 90mm on my Leica again, so I got Elmar-C. Got cheap Rolleiflex in nice condition and then sold it because I have constant problem with square format. I should keep it. Buying bunch of rangefinder cameras instead go on Leica from start (it would be much cheaper). Sold Nikon F with original non metering prism - now I have Nikon F with photonic prism and non working meter (I liked small prism better).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I bought a Canon body for some FD lenses I had only to find out that the apertures were stuck open and that the body had horrible dust in the prism. I took it apart and a cat jumped on my workspace, spreading the tiny screws everywhere.

...there goes that camera and lenses.

My biggest mistake was selling my Mamiya Press kit. I had poor technique at the time and was still chasing magic bullets so I got rid of it in favor of a GW690. DUMB DUMB DUMB. That body, viewing glass, mulitple backs and lenses was all I needed.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not long ago I bought a Schneider 90mm Super Angulon XL for my field camera even though I already knew it was a pain in the ass getting the rear component through any front standard sized for Linhof boards (another reason I regret selling the Sinar!!!). I knew this would be irritating but really thought I needed the extra few mm image circle vs the equivalent Rodenstock. It's an awesome lens of course, but so far I haven't needed the extra image circle, and I have to mess around with that damn protecting ring EVERY time.

I'm going to call this one stubborn behaviour.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lots of misteaks. Plenty. Too many to enumerate, but I'll cover the lowlights. As far back as 1984, to as recent as, um, last fall.

Buying a brand new Minolta Maxxum 7000 was the first. I corrected that by trading it in on a new T90.
    Trading that same T90 (plus a mammoth bag of accessories) in on an Olympus IS-1 several years later was the next one.
    Buying a brand new Elan 7N (at full price, from a local retailer) just a few months before I 'went digital'. Selling it a few years ago for $100, only to realize last spring that I really really needed something lightweight when I didn't feel like carrying a pair of lead-lined 1v with lead-filled lenses. Paid $150 for its replacement.
    Going digital.
    Discovering camera gear on ebay.
    Buying an RB67. I've had it six months. Haven't shot a single frame with it yet.

And on and on it goes...
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    Buying an RB67. I've had it six months. Haven't shot a single frame with it yet.
    Fred:

At least this problem is easily fixed with a couple of hours and a film or two .

I have made a few purchases that turned out to be mediocre at best.

But most have been good, even if only because I usually don't buy unless I get an exceptionally good deal.

I did make a mistake once though buying a medium format film scanner from someone who didn't know enough to lock the transport before shipping it. After the partial refund, I didn't have much invested in it, but after I had the manufacturer fix it ......
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Almost 8 years ago, my brother found a bunch of camera "stuff" left by a long-gone tenant. He told me to keep what I wanted and sell the rest; there were a number of large-format lenses (6 if I recall correctly), a mix of Nikon's and Fuji's. This was back when I was only shooting digital and thought I would not come back to film; if I did come back to film, I would never do more than 35mm (currently I don't shoot anything smaller than 6x6). I put it all up for $1100 buy-it-now on the 'bay as well as the auction - it sold in under 2 minutes and the buyer described the lot as the best camera deal he ever had. The only lens I know for certain that was in there was a 450mm Nikon and I cry a little when I think what I let go.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buying a Leica M6 with Motor M.

To have it stolen less than 2 months after I bought it.

With a bought new Voigtlander 35/1.4 on it.

As a new college graduate.

F**k.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm not into PS (yet), so when I bought my first scanner I elected to go with the less expensive capability of only scanning 8x10 b/w prints with all the dodging/burning included. Now I wish I'd gone for scanning 4x5 trannies and negatives to upload for others to see. Seems all it ever takes is $$$.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ouch, some sad stories here. At least I'm not alone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sold a new Leica M4 & 6 new Leica lenses way too cheap when I got out of the Army way back in 1968. (But, now I have a complete G1/G2 system-except for 16mm--that I like a lot more)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin