Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,558   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Purchase or sale mistakes you've made

I'm wondering if other people have done things they regretted, anywhere from right away to years later. These can include mistakes due to ignorance, rip-offs, lack of foresight, financial necessity, not enough research, too much research, impulsiveness. Anything goes.

I'll start with a sale: Several years ago when I wasn't sure whether or not I'd go back to large format, I sold a mint Sinar A1 with a mint Nikkor W 150 for $200. Why? I haven't the foggiest. I didn't need the cash, and as it turns out I went back to large format. This was long before I was a member here and at the time it didn't even occur to me places like APUG existed. I didn't think anyone on eBay or whatever would be interested in view cameras and didn't bother to even check. So, thinking there was zero direct market, I sold it to a local photo gear trader.

File this under ignorance, lack of foresight, impulsiveness and dumbass.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It all equals out somewhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've spent all morning trying to get working a Super Angulon 90/8 that I bought for my Travelwide.
    I didn't check properly before buying, but it's in a Compur Electric shutter, of the mysterious "size #2". Coming to the conclusion that the circuitry inside is a bit busted, all it does is a fixed 1/500s.
    The glass is clean though, I could always re-mount it into a normal shutter, but I'd need a size #1, and the travelwide takes #0 (still, #1 is smaller than the #2 of the electronic).
    The 65/8 I bought at the same time is in a #00, which I suppose isn't so bad, at least I can mount that in a #0 adapter...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's easy, just follow my mantra...never sell anything, there is always space in the spare room!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buying not one, but two Käsemann polarisers as replacements for two I thought I had lost on-loc, only to surprisingly find the "lost" ones way down in the second base layer of the camera bag a month or more later. That's more than $600 gone unnecessarily! I could sell them to recoup costs, of course, but given how precise and lavish these filters are I hold them in perpetuity "just in case". I am pleased to say I have not lost or misplaced any filter since April 2010.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Went to house of deceased photographer/printer to buy some darkroom bits & spied a Yashica 124 in a cupboard. Bought it because I'd just broken my folder, plus it was very pretty and I didn't have my glasses on or look at it properly properly. Paid about the market (read expensiveBay) price, as if for a decent one. The CLA to get it into good order is costing more than I paid of course. I

I'd have spent less if I'd bought a mint one from a dealer.

ho hum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Getting involved with APUG! That has cost me a fortune!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good stuff so far. Kasemann polarizers - ouch!

I like Tony's words of wisdom. Unless I need the money I'm never selling stuff again. Famous last words... I'm already thinking of a few things I should probably sell. But at least ever since I've joined APUG I've gotten fair prices for the things I've sold instead of getting screwed locally.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Traded a perfectly good Olympus XA and some cash for a Zorki 4. The Zorki lasted 24 hours before breaking ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Getting involved with APUG! That has cost me a fortune!
    I did not say that I had bad buying experiences with APUG members. I meant that APUG got me spending money that I did not have to spend. Getting GAS is a mean thing.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin