Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,480   Online: 1084

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    I haven't been involved in the trade for a long time but
    believe the Rollei and Braun machines came from Asia not Germany. Keep in mind, my memory is pretty much shot.
    At least the Rollei company did not resort to re-branding. But they had built an own plant in Singapore to profit from lower wages.

I've seen Schneider projection lenses for Kodak projectors. These days they go for peanuts if you can find them sitting around unused. They show up on occasion at camera stores. Yes, I know, camera stores are harder and harder to find.

Shooter
    35mm

Better 35 mm projector

No.1 Cardboard or plastic mount no glass is better with a curved field lens.
    No.2 Slides in glass calls for a flat field lens.

The major difference of a Leitz projector over a Kodak or other branded projector is the lighting system.
    EK and the others use a heat absorbing glass, to protect the slide. Leitz does not use a heat absorbing glass
    but a Dichroix [SP] reflector to absorb the heat this results in a Whiter light on the screen.
    This can be shown this way. Set up two projectors a Leitz and a Kodak side by side to project on a large White screen.
    Use slide frames to open the mechanism and adjust the projectors to get the identical size os on the screen.
    The Leitz will be a pure White while the EK will have a Greenish tinge.
    I'm sure this will have some effect on a slide projection quality.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am the original poster. I am more confused than I was. I guess if money didn't matter, would people recommend a specific model 35mm projector/ If reliability mattered, would it be another, and if sheer availability of parts mattered would people recommend another. I have gone on line and looked at ebay prices. For ektagraphic projectors ( there are tons of models) prices range from ridiculously low to 100-200$. For leitz or hasselblad we're talking a different price level completely. Judged only on the merits of the projected image, which one is "best", again, the price is not the issue. Thanks BTW I used to have a kodak carousel and stack loader and "GAVE IT AWAY!" a couple of years ago. It was OK, but I have 15K slides and want a high quality projector. Thanks Norm

Shooter
    35mm
    BTW, who services Leitz projecters today?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Back in the 80's I wanted the best 35mm projector available. The Leitz projector was the best and had the sharpest glass and you could view a slide as long as you wanted and the projector wouldn't burn the slide up.

Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the Leitz so I bought a Kodak and put a Schneider lens on it. I had really close to the quality of the Leitz lens at a fraction of the cost. Of course I still had a cheap projector that would burn up the slides if I kept them in too long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Normo,
    For optical properties alone, probably the Leitz should be your choice.
    There were two tray systems used over time, earlier used the Euro style straight tray and later the Kodak Carousel type. Either of them work well but the Kodak holds more frames(80 or 140) than Euro(36?).

Will the Hasselblad unit even work with 35mm?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    From what I have read the hasselblad pcp 80 works with 35mm, but then leitz has a number of pradovit models that also work with 35mm. Since I don't know anyone personally that ever used anything but a kodak carousel, I trying to learn from groups like this and the web. One of these days opportunity will knock. Norm

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Hasselblad projector is not intended for 35mm slides.
    However, as any 6x6cm projector it would take single-slide adapters for thin 35mm slides.

Shooter
    35mm
    You are right. Thanks for correcting me. That's why I like to read this forum. Norm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin