Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,374   Online: 889

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Help with Saunders LPL 4550XLG power supply

Finally go to the point when I have my darkroom set up. Only problem is I cannot get the bulb to turn on. I have tried putting a new bulb in to no avail. It has been so long that I am not sure that I have plugged it in correctly, although it seems straight forward. I the timer goes on when plugged into a surge protector, but not when plugged into the timer outlet. The timer hums when turned on, but seems to hum even with the switch in the off position. Do I have a blown power supply? Or is it something else. Just moved but everything was carefully packed in the original cartons. I am hoping it is a simple problem, such as an idiot at the switch. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Don

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hopefully, I can remember correctly, but quite a few years since I sold mine:

There is an on/off switch on the power supply.
    Try plugging both the power supplie's cords into the power strip and turn the switch on.
    If that works great, go on to checking the timer with a regular household lamp.
    If the timer works, then connect the timer to the power strip, and the power supply to the power strip and timer. Then run the timer and see if it works. Note that most timers have a "Enlarger" and "Safelight" receptacle and use the "Enlarger" one for the power supply cord that says from timer.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm
    It is about 20 years since I used one of those but if I remember correctly the power supply has a fuse holder on the back. It could just be that the fuse has blown.
    Get a multimeter and check the output and test the fuse.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Checked the fuse. Looks great. No way to test it though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It has a timer outlet. When I plug the time into it, it is dead as a door nail. When I plug the timer into the surge protector, it lights up like normal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm, it should be enlarger to enlarger power supply, then power supply to timer, and then timer to your surge protector and finally into your outlet. What type of timer are you using? I remember some timers are only rated for lower wattage systems.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

I am an idiot!!

It has been so long that I forgot I was supposed to plug the power supply into the timer, as the timer runs everything including turning on the enlarger bulb and shutting it off. I think I need a cold one after this abomination. Thanks to everyone for you help. Now does anyone know how to reverse a lobotomy? I think I have a self induced one. Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haha I'm glad everything worked out! Doesn't it feel great to have a working darkroom again?!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

It is heaven!!

Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Haha I'm glad everything worked out! Doesn't it feel great to have a working darkroom again?!
    Thanks Newt, I have been out of a darkroom for far to long. Now my bank account is going to suffer badly. I feel the need to replenish like it is now or never. Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was going to mention that I had a problem with my Saunders timer. The fuse "looked" perfectly fine but I changed it anyways and presto I had light.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 06-02-2013 at 06:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin