Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,052   Online: 1116

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Strange 120 Film Spool

At the weekend I spent a whole £1 on a 100 year old Brownie box camera.

The spool which was in it is unusual in that only one end has a slot which can engage with the winder. The other end is just a round hole.

I haven't seen anything like this before and wonder what the point is.

It is a plastic spool so I don't think it was the camera's original spool as that would probably have been either all metal or wood and metal. I also don't see how it could be the spool from a film as not all cameras run the film through in the sme direction.

Any ideas?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    At the weekend I spent a whole £1 on a 100 year old Brownie box camera.

The spool which was in it is unusual in that only one end has a slot which can engage with the winder. The other end is just a round hole.

I haven't seen anything like this before and wonder what the point is.

It is a plastic spool so I don't think it was the camera's original spool as that would probably have been either all metal or wood and metal. I also don't see how it could be the spool from a film as not all cameras run the film through in the sme direction.

Any ideas?

Steve.
    Is it possible that it is a 620 spool, not a 120? - 620 is slightly smaller diameter than a 120, and was done by Kodak to force people to buy their film. It was used on a lot of the old brownies.

620 spools were made both in plastic and metal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No. It's definitely 120.

My later box Brownie is 620 but this one has "use 120 film" embossed on the back.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Actually, I haven't thought this through properly.

If it had film on it, it wouldn't matter as neither side locates in a slot. It only needs a slot when used as a take up spool. Then it can be put in to match the position of the winder.

I still haven't seen one like this before though.

steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Steve
    This doesn't have anything to do with your post but I thought you'd like to know the pentax stuff I got from you last year is getting good use. I cleaned and put light seals in them. Working great. Hope the lens you got is getting some use also.

Richard Haas

Shooter
    35mm

If it had film on it, it wouldn't matter as neither side locates in a slot. It only needs a slot when used as a take up spool. Then it can be put in to match the position of the winder.

steve.
    Just checked and I have a few plastic 120 spools like this in my darkroom "junk box", from film used a few years ago, but I have no way now of checking what the brand was. Hadn't really noticed that it was in any way unusual.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Apparently some engineer thought that the spool didn't need a slot on both ends. My 116 spools from the Kodak Autographic series all have slots thru round holes on both ends and they're close to a 100 years old.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm

steve.
    I have a dozen of so plastic 127 spools, and they have solid nubs on one end and slotted on the other. Fortunately, in a sense, none of my 127 cameras will handle a plastic take-up spool. So I don't have a practical problem with it. (Well, I suppose I would if I were sending the film out.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    efke 127 spools are like that -- i am guessing yours is a fairly recent spool made by someone trying to cut corners. A real 100 year old spool would have a wooden core and metal ends.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It has a patent No. on it (629067) which is dated 1953 and is assigned to Eastman Kodak.

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin