Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,603   Online: 823

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is probably not going to make some people happy, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Holga. I had a friend in the late 80s that took a portrait photo class that required the use of a medium format camera. She couldn't afford a decent camera, so she got a Holga, and used it. She kept telling me what fun it was, but I just couldn't see the value in using an all plastic camera. I decided to pick one up to try myself, and after shooting a couple rolls of color film, still didn't have much good to say about it. A few years later, I found it in a drawer, and loaded some B&W film in it. I was surprised that I kind of liked some of the results. Now I've got 5 different Holgas, and enjoy using them all. Once I decided that they were not going to give me sharp images, I started experimenting, playing with the flaws of the cameras and have enjoyed them way more than I figured I ever would. I have even sold some images I've taken with them. No, I'm not giving my Rolleis and Pentax 645, or other medium format cameras away, but the Holga has found a permanent place in my shooting stable. (for now anyway)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing wrong with a Holga. Mine has a solid place in my kit... right beside my Rollei. This was one of my first Holga shots. I was pretty much hooked right away.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caffenol-tofino-dawn.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	69804

And for light leaks, I can't beat my 1930-something Welta Weltix. Bottom of the barrell for the Welta line, and with a painfully confusing advance/cock/fire/release system that pretty much guarantees a few wasted frames on every film.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pelee-grave.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	69805
    Last edited by Toffle; 06-06-2013 at 10:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Olympus mju 1 f3.5 version. I have zoom version witch is not a big deal, but this one is awesome. Got it on flea market for couple of euros.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Diana F, the new one from Lomo. I thought it was a hipster novelty item but someone lent me one for a couple of weeks and it was a well thought out plastic camera with flash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Old tank EOS 650 with EF 50mm f/1.4. That camera is far better to hold than any new ones.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Rollei 35T.

The best $125.00 ( 1975 ) I ever spent. as a back-up, casual travel, and most recently Street camera ( non-threatening, especially in a Tourist town.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a Rolleiflex at a farm sale (off a junk tool wagon) for $42 and sent it off for a CLA. I'm really amazed at the prints it produces...I don't want to say it....but I think I like the prints better than from my Hassy.....one isn't sharper than athe other ...just has a different look.....don't know how else to say it....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I bought a 5"X7" on fleebay that turned out to be a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4. At first I was not happy but I got used to it really quickly and now I just love it. It's an Agfa with a very hazy lens that I wouldn't have even considered had I seen it in person. The results are beautifully soft.
    A happy mistake indeed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first Hasselblad 500 c/m. I bought the camera on the recommendation of several dyed-in-the-wool medium format shooters who sang the praises ad infinitum of the versatility of the system and the quality of the Zeiss glass. My first shoot was with the basic kit: the 500 c/m body, 80mm Planar and an A12 loaded with Velvia 50. Not sure what to expect - I metered everything with a seldom used (at the time) Gossen Luna Pro SBC - the sharpness and richness of the 2 1/4 transparencies far exceeded anything I could have hoped for. With the demise of Kodachrome, the "Blad," loaded with either E100G/VS, Velvia 100 or, more often these days, PanF Plus or FP4 Plus has become my weapon of choice for my landscape and nature photography.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A thrift store Diana Camera (75 cents, pre-Lomo).

Fun running some greatly expired Tech pan thru it.

Area of Temporary Refuge
    North Jetty, Humboldt Bay, CA

Scanned carbon print:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3BoysNorthJetty.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin