Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,648   Online: 766

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    no clue -- i was an officer in the Minox Historical Society for a coupla years, and at that time -- 5 or so years ago -- B models were a glut on the market, $50 if you were lucky. The black ones bring more. The newer models with electronic shutters bring more, but even those are relative deals.

So why are they suddenly desirable? No clue -- I wouldn't pay $200 for one in mint condition, and the meters are usually (a) dead and (b) impossible to repair at a reasonable cost point. The film is very expensive unless you cut and load your own.

And, let's be honest, they are a lot more work to get good prints from. I go on a minox binge once a year, frustrate myself for a coupla weeks, and then do some 35 and suddenly 35 feels like large format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    [ . . . ]

And, let's be honest, they are a lot more work to get good prints from. I go on a minox binge once a year, frustrate myself for a coupla weeks, and then do some 35 and suddenly 35 feels like large format.
    Hehe, at some point in recent years i commented they are like an early cellphone camera before there were cell phones. I still own a B purchased new in the 1960s (during a weak moment of excess disposable income). I keep thinking I should try it after ignoring it for several decades. There are a couple of 1970s vintage rolls of film around here somewhere, but I guess if I want to be fair, I should buy some recent vintage fine grain material.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I wouldn't mind having a Minox B. I wouldn't care about the meter though it would be a bonus if it worked - I just like mechanical cameras that don't rely on batteries. And if the original Minox is too expensive, the B is a bargain.

My Minox C uses a mercury battery, can be utilized with other kinds of batteries but you have to open the film chamber to change the battery. And when it comes to replacements for mercury batteries, well you know, they have to be changed all the time.

Makes a great backup camera for backpacking...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    no clue -- i was an officer in the Minox Historical Society for a coupla years, and at that time -- 5 or so years ago -- B models were a glut on the market, $50 if you were lucky. The black ones bring more. The newer models with electronic shutters bring more, but even those are relative deals.

So why are they suddenly desirable? No clue -- I wouldn't pay $200 for one in mint condition, and the meters are usually (a) dead and (b) impossible to repair at a reasonable cost point. The film is very expensive unless you cut and load your own.

Like you, I was a follower of the Minox Historical Society about 10 years ago....I'd always been fascinated by Minox, and built up a modest collection of cameras and accessories at that time.

I think also that I liked the idea of a tiny kit to carry all the time, but, with compact 35mm point-and-shoot and the small digital cameras which appeared soon after, I succumbed to these as being much easier for casual and family snapshotting than the effort and time which is needed with Minox.

So, just like you, I enjoy the occasional Minox binge, then put the gear away again until I've forgotten how frustrating it can be and can muster up enough dedication for another try!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No modern camera can beat a Minox EC concerning portability.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm ... last night I thought, hey, I'll order a couple of rolls of new film and give my old Minox B a tryout. Bzz-z-z-zZZZT! Every site had a notice up about being temporarily out of stock, but with assurances Minox claims it will be coming back.

There's a wet blanket on that impulse -- but I guess after being idle for 30 years another month (or year) won't matter. I suppose I could go the full route with a homemade slitter and reload, but that is a bit more trouble than I intended to entangle myself with.

I also recall several years ago seeing a device go by on ePrey that fastened into a 39 mm enlarger lens mount and had a short focal length lens and Minox film carrier built in, just using the main enlarger as a light source. Now that would be cool!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Hmmm ... last night I thought, hey, I'll order a couple of rolls of new film and give my old Minox B a tryout. Bzz-z-z-zZZZT! Every site had a notice up about being temporarily out of stock, but with assurances Minox claims it will be coming back.

There's a wet blanket on that impulse -- but I guess after being idle for 30 years another month (or year) won't matter. I suppose I could go the full route with a homemade slitter and reload, but that is a bit more trouble than I intended to entangle myself with.
    Google "Goathill photo" for minox film/reloads
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Google "Goathill photo" for minox film/reloads
    Thanks! Has anybody bought from them recently? The website looks as though it hasn't been altered since circa 2005, which I find a little concerning. I do have some 1970s vintage rolls, I suppose one of them might at least verify the camera still functions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin