Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,011   Online: 1121

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Minox B Subminiatures...

Can anyone tell me why these cameras are valued at ~$200 by collectiblend, and why they are selling anywhere from $50 to $150 on eBay???

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't answer you question for sure, but I suspect the condition has lot to do with it. A pristine collector grade camera will always cost much more than average. Also, the Minox B has a Selenium cell meter which is very likely to not be working, or not very accurate as it ages, so a nice Minox B which is working properly is probably not the norm on Ebay. Personally, I like the later Minox C, or LX models because of their cds meters and auto exposure. ---john.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm sure that cameras are exactly like many other collectables, antiques, coins, stamps, etc. A rare stamp has a "catalogue value" quoted in one of the recognised catalogues (e.g. Stanley Gibbons, or Scott), but this is very much a guide, a true buying or selling price depending entirely on condition, availability, collector demand on a particular day, whether the sun is shining and people feeling generous, etc., etc. A "catalogue" value also reflects a dealers price, including all overheads and the cost of holding a large stock and variety of items. An offer on Ebay may well be a collector to collector deal, without a dealers costs or profits to be covered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some people don't know what they are selling on ebay, and of course the condition issue is important in regards to the sellers who do know.
    Also, remember that auction prices and retail prices are different. In an auction, you run the risk of receiving both higher and lower prices than the value of an item.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The selenium cell can be replaced. The trick with these cells is to keep them in the dark except when the camera or light meter is being used.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Per CollectiBlend:
    You should not expect to sell or buy for exactly the specified price.

Prices here are intended to give a ballpark estimate (rather than a precise amount), to provide an idea of the approximate camera value.

This service is provided for informational purposes only. It is not commercial, we don't buy or sell anything. This site is not affiliated with any camera reseller or auction house

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah I get all that...

But what is it about the cameras that is making them desirable? Is it strictly collectibility, or is there some kind of movement like there is with instant photography and lomo?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is usable. It is collectable.
    But there has no Minox fashion come into existance, as far as I know of.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Yeah I get all that...

But what is it about the cameras that is making them desirable? Is it strictly collectibility, or is there some kind of movement like there is with instant photography and lomo?
    I would like to start a movement for Minox photography! The cameras are really fun to shoot with, but a bit of a challenge when it comes to processing and printing/scanning. A couple of times a year, I get the urge for some Minox photography, so I slit and load some fresh film and go at it. ---john.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Yeah I get all that...

There is a following for these (and some other) subminiatures. You have to be impressed with the design and mechanics of these "watch-like" marvels.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin