Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,714   Online: 1126

Shooter
    Multi Format

Stereo Pair Exposure

Is it normal for one image in a stereo pair to appear a bit darker than the other? Is the small spacing between the lenses really enough to show a difference in illumination due to the (very slight) difference in angles?

I'd purchased a very nice Realist 45 on ebay. Despite it probably only ever having a few rolls through it, I did notice the right and left image appear to have a slight difference in EI (if I'm using the term correctly). Since the unit is from the 50s, I figured it would need a CLA anyway. The difference does not really cause any problems; it is not really noticeable when viewing the images correctly - but I know that doesn't mean anything.

Last week my best friend was given her grandfather's Corte-Scope (the earlier American Corte-Scope Company version). I noticed the same apparent issue on the cards that came with the Corte-Scope. Then I searched online, and noticed the same effect on many stereo pairs, both old and new. However, I could not find any information on this particular issue.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It sounds reasonable that the exposure would be slightly different, I believe there are two separate shutters in the camera. A CLA should really help out.

FWIW, EI=exposure index, your personally tested/rated speed for a given film. I think you're looking for "density" to describe the difference in exposure.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They should match, but may not if one shutter is running at a slightly wrong speed.

You might (rarely) get differences with a well-calibrated camera, e.g. different flare appearing in each lens because one is shaded and the other is not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haze and or fungus will cause this as well.
    greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    Haze and or fungus will cause this as well.
    greg
    Dirt, too.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jonieelvis and original poster-- the realist 45 is not like other stereo realist cameras, which were made in USA and have a single metal guillitine shutter and are fairly simple to service. The 45 is German-made, really an Iloca, with two separate blade shutters which are linked, but are not the same as what you describe. If one is a bit sticky and slow, it will definitely give you differing exposures.

Time for a CLA, although for the price you can probably find a more traditional Realist camera, the boxy-looking predecessor to the 45 which jonieelvis is thinking of. That camera will be more durable, have a built-in rangefinder with no parallax, and be funkier to use. The Realist 3.5 models in usable condition usually run $100 or so. Those with the 2.8 lens cost more, but are no better, image-wise, and for stereo you want smaller aperture anyway.

here's a good description of the basic models http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_Realist
    Last edited by summicron1; 06-16-2013 at 11:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was looking for the traditional Realist, but this was about $50. The bottom plate still has luster, and the paint on the little area inside that scrapes off when you unhinge the back is mostly there. I'm pretty sure someone bought it, used it a few times, then put it a closet.

I still want an original Realist, but figure it'd need a CLA too, and my car right now is milking me dry.
    Truzi

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin