Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,028   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.hoyafilter.com/hoya/produ...x0yellowgreen/

The curves may tell you the story.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A lot of old texts have the variety of effects in black and white, I am looking at Feiningers' now.
    I fully agree that the filters are not perfect in their function, but I think we are confusing the additive and subtractive systems.
    Bernard-l mentions yellow is not a primary colour but with regards to filtration of wavelengths of light that is not the point.
    And a yellow filter plus a green filter is not the same as a yellow/green filter.
    A filter lets through the wavelengths of light that it looks like and as a result of printing that lightened tone back down, the other tones will be slightly darker to a variety of degrees. There is imperfect spill, but
    a Yellow filter prints foliage lighter to the extent that there is reflective yellow in the leaves, as can be seen in the fall. Red can do the same
    As a more blunt example, a red filter and a blue filter combined do not equal a magenta filter.
    Least ways, that is the way Feininger's examples look like.
    Regards
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An aside since I know you like pinhole cameras too. I use green + orange filters stacked together for preflashing VC paper for paper negatives. The point is to block the blue, and I think of the orange filter almost like a ND to make the green exposure longer. The combination together makes the preflash exposure more than 10 seconds so I can control it.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Allen View Post

The filter that I most used when doing landscape photography was a Wratten #12 (Minus Blue) filter. This filter looks yellow but is actually a special formulation for B&W that markedly lowers the tonal value of blues without affecting the other colours. It produces results similar to a red filter but far more subtle, removes haze, takes the blue out of deep shadows thereby creating more visual contrast and, all of this, with only a loss of one stop. The Minus Blue filter proved invaluable in getting good representation of landscape tonality in the UK, Brazil, Chile and Germany.
    Is this the same as a #12 Deep Yellow filter?

I have a yellow-green filter that I like using in shots where I don't want to suppress the foliage but want a darker sky. I don't generally like stacking filters as it tends to lead to unpredictable results.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    I hadn't fully realized that the yellow lets through the orange and red to that degree. good graph.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One additional area of concern is Filter Factoring, how much additional exposure to use. It is my understanding that when stacking filters you do not combine the factors, a 1.5X and a 2X do not make a 3.5X. Use only the single largest Factor for the stack. I don't think the order is important.

Just thinking ahead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    One additional area of concern is Filter Factoring, how much additional exposure to use. It is my understanding that when stacking filters you do not combine the factors, a 1.5X and a 2X do not make a 3.5X. Use only the single largest Factor for the stack. I don't think the order is important.
    It should depend on how much the curves overlap, I think. If you had two filters with the exact same passband but different filter factors, you'd invert the filter factors, multiply, and invert again, so the 1.5x and 2x would come to a 3x. Of course if they didn't overlap at all, the filter factor would be infinity because no light would pass; and somewhere in between are most of the realistic situations.

To get a real answer for a particular pair of filters you need to consider their full response curves, but I'm pretty sure that using only the highest filter factor for the stack will always cause underexposure to some degree. Do I miss something?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nathan,
    You may be right. I am basing my understanding from what I remember reading in "The Negative" a few years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    Nathan,
    You may be right. I am basing my understanding from what I remember reading in "The Negative" a few years ago.
    Hmm, well, I'm gonna guess that if my off-the-cuff analysis conflicts with Ansel Adams, people should probably listen to him!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are two sets of primary colors; an additive set and a subtractive set. The additive set is red, green and blue and the subtractive set is yellow magenta and cyan. Anyone who wishes to use colored filters should become familiar with the color wheel. This knowledge makes things much simpler.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin