Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,186   Online: 869

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hoarding?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Hoarding?

How many people on here are hoarders of stuff your significant other thinks is total junk? For example, my piece of glass I use for drying fibre prints on is the front of an old TV I kept from ages ago "just in case", and I caused much hilarity recently because I had to fix the siphon in our WC cistern. The only flexible sheet I could find to make the flap valve was from the top of a pair of rubber boots I had cut off because they were too tall, and had kept the offcuts because "pieces of rubber sheet come in handy sometimes"- as they did! OH could not believe I had actually *kept* the offcuts!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I refuse to answer the question on the grounds I may incriminate myself.

P.S. You'll also find that sheet of glass very useful if you ever start making carbon prints.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Warehousing of the possibly usable for future maintenance and repair is a sound and viable life value. Every young 'un growing up in dairy and orchard country saw the bicycle and wagon fixing wonders flow from the parents hands that made a trip to "the shed".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not so much on camera stuff, but I did it on model airplane stuff.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's all mine, mine, mine! There's NEVER though stuff. If I don't have it, I want it AND you can't have it. Kidding aside, hoarders have a poverty mentality.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    I don't like to call it hoarding, preferring terms like "potential repurposing", "passive investments", and "preparedness"

Electronic components and gear, five Hammond organs, glass sheets, scraps of plexi, etc., etc.,

On the occasions when I've been shamed into doing a purge of "old junk", it's usually only a matter of days when the same "junk" would have proved very useful for another purpose.
    - Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    We have several small plastic tubs full of light bulbs of all kinds, various extension cords, miscellaneous household repair stuff (screws, nails, wood glue, etc), and cables for all sorts of electronics: audio, video, computer monitors, network cables, USB cables of all sorts, and even cords for land line telephones (even though we no longer have such a phone). Mostly these hoarded things have come in handy, saving me a trip to the store to buy a single expensive item when I have it on hand here. I do sometimes wonder why I still have the phone cords, however... My parents both grew up on farms and were children of the Great Depression. My father in particular is the sort of person who can and will fix nearly anything, as long as he has the tools and the parts. So he has two storage sheds full of stuff he has accumulated over the past 50 years or so, but all of it is potentially useful, and he proves it time and time again when something breaks and he doesn't have to pay to get it fixed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexavalent View Post
    five Hammond organs
    I wish I had the room for just one.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Be prepared" and for that you need to all the stuff that might somehow be useful.
    The problem is just where to store it all but an ordinary house can fit a surprisingly large amount of useful things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not hoard. I collect what I need for myself and keep those things from the hoarders.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin