Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,409   Online: 777

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Picassa

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Using Picassa

Any body use Picassa to edit their shots? I am looking for a good program without out having to mortgage the house so that I can organize my shots to post on various sites, including here and I need one that helps me size them by either physical and/or number of pixels. I am using Windows 7 if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance, Don

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Irfan view will do everything you need for free including easy resizing http://www.irfanview.net/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd recommend having a look at Faststone Image Viewer (image browser, converter and editor). It's surprisingly full featured for a small program and free to home users.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another good, Free Open Source Software (FOSS) offering is GIMP:http://www.gimp.org/I've used irfanview also, and it is good. I just prefer GIMP at this point.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For quick-and-dirty purposes, GIMP is great. Unfortunately it's limited to 8-bit grays, which isn't really enough for critical editing---but if your editing in the digital domain is critical, it's off-topic for APUG anyway. :-)

In the Mac world, at least, there doesn't seem to be a free alternative with 16 bits per channel. GIMP keeps getting closer but isn't there yet.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also consider Adobe Elements. You can often find an older version - which performs the basic tasks just fine - for very cheap or free. It was often bundled as a free add on with printers and scanners.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy a generation or two back version of PS or Lightroom.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Picasa converts photos to Jpeg but it is good for printing b&w without colour cast. Adobe CS-2 is free and works quite well except for printing. The choice is a trade off. One of the best reasons to stick with dkrm printing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Another software publisher to look at is Corel. AfterShot Pro and PaintShop Pro are both available for Windows, at a fraction of the cost of their Adobe counterparts (Lightroom and Photoshop, respectively). I'm looking at PaintShop Pro myself, as I have no interest in Adobe's latest "Creative Cloud" subscription-based product.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aftershot Pro is also available for Mac and Linux platforms, and the license permits a single user to use it on both Windows and Linux, if you dual boot.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin