Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,618   Online: 1322

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "Make sure they see how much fun you're having with the film and then play the "Lets compare prints!" game where you set your traditional print down next to their ink jet print and exclaim "Wow, I didn't realize how GREAT this old techology really is!"

Well lets come back to mother earth for a minute. Inkjet prints can be fantastic, particulary when compared to the crap you get from highstreet photoprocessing outlets. Inkjets bring top quality photo finnishing potential into your living room for not a lot of money. You will probably still get the best result from scanning film then making the inkjet, but digital capture can and will produce great results. The only way to better it for colour prints is to do traditional hand printing. And probably the only way to beat hand printing is a manipulated drum scan printed on colour photographic paper.

As usual it's horses for courses. And for the casual snapper who cares about his pictures, lets be honest digital is the way to go.

And let me point out once again, before the anti-digital mob go nuts, I use film 100%. So please feel free to send me some film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth harper
    And for the casual snapper who cares about his pictures, lets be honest digital is the way to go.
    I'm starting to see a trend with my casual digital snapper friends. They are hating the 'computer' part of the workflow. One even took his film camera instead of the digital on vacation. I was floored when he said it was easier to deal with!

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "They are hating the 'computer' part of the workflow."

I can understand that. They can take the memory card direct to the processor, and even have them burn a disc for them if they want to avoid the PC altogether.
    I did use to have a little joke for my digi friends. I'd tell them about a new small super high res memory device, they cost 99p each from the channel islands and can hold 36 images a throw.............................
    They used to take the bate every time, some of them not catching on till I said it's called film.

I do also know some that while they hate the PC side of things they love being able to e-mail images.

One thing is for sure the digital revolution has increased interest in photography as a whole. Some of that interest works it's way through to film.
    The communal darkrooms in Glasgow haven't been this busy for years.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Today's catch from a very busy NYC food photographer who went digital--8x10" Sinar P for $855. Looking at her credits, I'm sure it's paid for itself many times over. I picked the camera up from the studio and it looked like she was working with one of the newer Sinars and a scanning back on a massive studio stand.

Meanwhile, she had another 8x10" P and an 8x10" Norma that I think didn't get any bids. Look for seller bgstudio1 on eBay, if you're interested. I bet they get relisted, maybe at a lower price.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Today's catch from a very busy NYC food photographer who went digital--8x10" Sinar P for $855. Looking at her credits, I'm sure it's paid for itself many times over. I picked the camera up from the studio and it looked like she was working with one of the newer Sinars and a scanning back on a massive studio stand.

Meanwhile, she had another 8x10" P and an 8x10" Norma that I think didn't get any bids. Look for seller bgstudio1 on eBay, if you're interested. I bet they get relisted, maybe at a lower price.
    I think that Sinar P cameras in good shape are tremendous values. There are tons of accessories available for them at reasonable (for photo gear!) prices, and they are a joy to use. I have an 8x10 Sinar P, and I love it. My first large format camera was a Sinar P 4x5. The geared asymmetric swings and tilts are terrific for a newbie. I sold mine under the delusion that I needed a lighter camera. Ten years later I learned my lesson and bought my current kit.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt
    I think that Sinar P cameras in good shape are tremendous values.
    Absolutely!

After shooting 8x10" for some years with a Gowland PocketView, which is a great field camera, I realized that I take a fair number of photographs at home and don't really need an ultralight camera for that, and the conveniences of the asymmetric tilts and scales and calculators and levels (all of which needed adjustment) are kind of nice. I picked up a 4x5" Sinar F kit really cheap not long ago as a way of getting into the Sinar system, and have acquired a few accessories since, and I've just been waiting for the right 8x10" P to come along at the right price, and being able to pick it up in person was a real plus, saving the shipping charges and hassles.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We get tons of calls from people wanting to sell their darkroom equipment. I guess they figure we are a darkroom, so we must be buying... Well, what often happens is that we tell them that we are not in the market to buy anything and they just give the stuff to us because they don't know what to do with it. I am seriously considering working on this as a fundraising tool for us. We could end up being pretty big sellers on eBay!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    We get tons of calls from people wanting to sell their darkroom equipment. I guess they figure we are a darkroom, so we must be buying... Well, what often happens is that we tell them that we are not in the market to buy anything and they just give the stuff to us because they don't know what to do with it. I am seriously considering working on this as a fundraising tool for us. We could end up being pretty big sellers on eBay!
    Paul:

At least give APUGers first crack at the stuff ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    Paul:

At least give APUGers first crack at the stuff ...
    Of course!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm, all my friends are converting to the analogue way of visualisation... and no one wants their digicams...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin