Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,744   Online: 915

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    You only need 2

Of each

Format

And lens mount
    Only 2?? Darn, I knew I was doing it wrong!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a buddy. He's a good buddy, but he has a problem. When he gets interested in something, he has to buy up the whole world. No health insurance, he lives in a dilapidated trailer, has no savings, but he has 40 lawnmowers, 40 motorcycles, a hundred cameras, 30 crock pots, 30 pressure cookers, on and on and on. He's a good old boy and a Christion, but why do you need to go on ebay every day and buy a used bible? What do you need with 40 bibles?
    Every camera he's got needs work. You can't buy these old cameras and just use them--they need lubrication and calibration. Why does somebody need a hundred of everything? I believe it's bipolar disorder.
    At some point, collecting when you have no visible means of support is a mental illness. I just bought a nice Nikon FTN for 80 dollars. I'm sure some Hasselblad stuff is soon to be out the door. Discipline. Financial responsibilities come first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, maybe you could just send them all to me and I will return one of them to you. I have given 5 or 6 35mm set ups to college students this year. Bill (Who has way too many cameras) Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John....
    I used to have a few 35mm systems with many lenses, a couple MF systems with lenses and a 4x5 system with 4 lenses....I sold it all and bought a Leica and a couple lenses and Mamiya 6 with a few lenses....best decision I've ever made. When I got out and shoot, I just take what I'm familiar with -no muss, no fuss. I found this works for me and I just hammer it day after day.

I know your style and we're very different, so I do mostly street/documentary work and used one camera, 2 lenses for 90% of my stuff. So, my opinion might be way off.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    Hmm, maybe you could just send them all to me and I will return one of them to you. I have given 5 or 6 35mm set ups to college students this year. Bill (Who has way too many cameras) Barber
    That's the thing to do..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wish I could get down to one camera, but even though I could get by with just one, I feel that I like taking pictures more in nature with the Hasselblad or 6x6 pinhole, and people photography I do better with 35mm. The prints seem to come together better for me this way.

Use as many cameras as you want, but don't let the camera get in the way. Any camera that doesn't feel natural to me to use gets axed. Same for too many cameras of the same kind.

35mm SLR - Qty 2 - Pentax KX with various prime lenses
    35mm RF - Qty 1 - Leica M2 with various lenses
    120 6x6 - Qty 1 - Hasselblad 500 with three lenses (want one more body for backup)
    120 6x6 - Qty 1 - Zero Image 2000

I own a Spotmatic and a few other loose ends of cameras, but none that I really use anymore, because they fill no function that isn't already filled.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't sell anything to buy something new. I have done it so many times and I most always regret selling what I had. There has been a few exceptions but I would really like to suggest to keep what you have for at least a year after you start to think about selling.
    I tend to change the format I like to shoot. 8x10 was my main for a few years but now I am completely in love with 35mm again and shoot old Leica cameras. Next year I could be back at 8x10

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    jan, i am kind if in your boat ...
    too many fun formats and fun cameras with unique signatures to shoot.
    its probably just a phase, cause if i sell or give any of them away
    i'll be wicked depressed ... and i don't have the $$ to buy new...

i wonder if painters have this problem with brushes ?
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-29-2013 at 08:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    Don't sell anything to buy something new. I have done it so many times and I most always regret selling what I had. There has been a few exceptions but I would really like to suggest to keep what you have for at least a year after you start to think about selling.
    I tend to change the format I like to shoot. 8x10 was my main for a few years but now I am completely in love with 35mm again and shoot old Leica cameras. Next year I could be back at 8x10
    Yep, yep, yep...
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i am two small sales away from being down to one camera, one lens for each format: 35mm, MF & LF... must say that i like the minimalism and simplicity. at this point all i want is to do grab a camera, go shoot, have fun - repeat as necessary. this approach also works well in other, non-photographic applications.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin