Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,662   Online: 1096

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The more stuff you have, the more hostages to fate you have, and the more to worry about.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i am almost to a point where i want to sell everything i have and just keep one camera ...

any suggestions ?
    Sounds like crazy talk to me. Plus with all that money from selling all your cameras you would probably just buy more cameras.

Maybe just go out photographing with one camera.

Roger

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Crazy talk, get some professional help.
    oops didn't see Rogers post

plus one

i am almost to a point where i want to sell everything i have and just keep one camera ...

any suggestions ?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd not sell cameras with a unique signature that you'd miss like a Ricohflex or Ikonta.

But giving away to someone starting out, that's worthwhile.

Or giving back to the person you borrowed it from might be reasonable too (that's where the Ricoflex went, back to Mom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had a lot of cameras. At one point I decided to get rid of redundant stuff.

For a portable, versatile, small camera capable of everyting from point-n-shoot to high quality macro work, I kept a Nikon F and six lenses.

For a portable reasonably fast working camera giving a larger negative than 35mm, I kept one Rollei.

For an easily portable, versatile, very high quality largeformat camera I kept the Linhof STIV, which uses 6x7 and 4x5 film and can be used handheld with a Grafmatic/rollfilm holder or on a tripod.

For the ultimate in quality and reasonably sized contact prints with the option of enlarging, I kept the Deardorff V8 with 8x10 and 4x5 backs.

For about 15 years I stuck with this set of equipment.

But.

About 6-7 years ago I found a working Pentaz IQZoom at a thrift shop for $3. Snagged it for a PHD camera, it's pretty good.

About 5-6 years ago I found a Miranda with a 350mm Soligor in a dumpster and pulled it out.

5 years ago my father died, leaving me a pristine OM-3, OM-4, and five lenses including a 35mm shift Zuiko.

About 4 years ago a fellow saw me using my Nikon, he gave me a Nikkormat which he had not used in a couple decades.

Last winter I decided I wanted a screwmount camera so I could play with some of the different M42 lenses available, I bought a Pentax H1a.

Last week I was given a 2x Vivitar teleconverter on Monday, and a Yashica TL Super on Wed..

See the trend here? Like any addict, you're either active or in retirement, there's no middle ground. It all started with one small harmless little P&S camera, next thing you know I'll be looking for 11x14 filmholders. Sad...

Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 06-29-2013 at 12:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

any suggestions ?
    I'd say "keep the Rolleiflex" (or buy one if you don't jave one ;-) )

at l least this is what I'd do if I had to get down to 1 camera. In my case, there is a part of "the best camera is the one at hand" as this is the one I use the most, but I finally find it the last obstrusive of my kits, and it's lack of versatility" is, I think, a strength.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Last winter I decided I wanted a screwmount camera so I could play with some of the different M42 lenses available, I bought a Pentax H1a.
    Doesn't it drive you crazy that they moved infinity all the way over to the other side?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm at the point myself... GAS got me into buying a couple things I haven't used enough to justify keeping them. Sure, stuff I may love what it can do, but with what I've spent vs the amount of use... Yeah, I'll be selling some stuff.
    Going to keep the medium format stuff (none of it has any real value) and my Graflex setup and whatever 35mm gear I may have around (few gifts, worth no real value) and just sell the accessory lenses, extra cameras, and accessories that I've gotten and never used.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have about 10 cameras and often think about selling a few of them, but when I pick them up and handle them, listen to the sounds they make when you press the shutter and change the speed. Also view the iris diaphragm and it's centricity of blades, I end up keeping them, even if I don't use them.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I have about 10 cameras and often think about selling a few of them, but when I pick them up and handle them, listen to the sounds they make when you press the shutter and change the speed. Also view the iris diaphragm and it's centricity of blades, I end up keeping them, even if I don't use them.
    YES!!

this is MY problem
    but i use them too.
    its not like i have GAS i don't really buy
    a lot of gear .. maybe a clunker lens
    or a junk camera every other year.

i guess i have silver halide in my system and there is no cure.
    i can think of worse things to have trouble with ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin