Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,461   Online: 1056

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it likely that whatever you choose to keep, you'll regret something that you get rid of. Therefor, don't get rid of it. Pick what you think your 'keeper' is and carefully pack what you think you won't use in a box, seal it and store it somewhere safe. If you haven't opened it in a couple of years, then you know you can sell it. But I bet you keep at least some of it.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    ...you'll regret something that you get rid of...
    This is where my plan comes in... When you give it away to someone who will use it... Then you don't regret it.

You might remember it... The Spotmatic with 35mm f/2 SMCT and Soligor SpotSensor that I gave to a typesetter/colleague years ago. Sure, I'd be happy to have em back. But they went to a good home and my memory isn't that I just got rid of it... I passed it on to someone who can use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill- I had a similar experience with a Spotmatic. I gave it to a friend, about 27-30 years ago. I had just bought an OM-2, so I didn't need it, and she got some good use out of it. A few weeks ago, she told me she hasn't used it in years, and wants me to have it back! I'm looking forward to holding, and using, it again.

John- I only have a few cameras I haven't used in the last 2 years. But, I plan to...
    Seriously, when it comes to getting rid of cameras, most won't give you much return on the money. Unless it can go to someone who can use it, as Bill said, there's a better chance that you'll eventually find a project for them. With your unique methods, and vision, I've no doubt you'll come up for uses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The idea to sell everything and maybe keep this or that has, I believe, it's basis in the yearnings of the soul. We can be connected to our animal nature to possess things that we believe is instrumental to our happiness or we can be spiritually enlightened and understand that true happiness is never a possession. Something within or without is usually unbalanced and one may be willing perhaps to make big changes in order to effect something new, some new path perhaps. Overall I have never met a person who was not relieved to discard the material things that they believed were instrumental to their lives. Once the debris is cleaned out there is always a lightness to their being and it seems opportunities abound. My ideology is never to be afraid to give and to get rid of. The source is unending and our needs are always fulfilled in the most amazing of ways.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Large Format
    I hope you pardon a thought that occurred when I saw this thread was an old saying. I didn't know exactly the wording so I googled it. I had heard it, but never really knew where it came from. But here it is. (I thought it came from Star Trek) Anyway...
    Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post

i guess i have silver halide in my system and there is no cure.
    i can think of worse things to have trouble with ...
    Seems like a great slogan for a T-shirt
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If y'all decide what you want to part with let me know?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, never sell or give away anything before the big Game Over light flashes. Your kids will do that for you at the estate sale. And by that point you won't know or care which of your beloved cameras ended up in the landfill.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Over here some people are collecting old farming tractors, old Lanz Bulldogs and the like. Collecting cameras seems to be comparatively harmless to me. Just buy a glass cabinet and put all cameras you don't actually use in there. Most old cameras are a joy just to look at. There may come a time where you have a desire for one of them to use. You then don't need to buy it again. Just go to your cabinet and swap cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Drolshagen View Post
    Over here some people are collecting old farming tractors, old Lanz Bulldogs and the like. Collecting cameras seems to be comparatively harmless to me. Just buy a glass cabinet and put all cameras you don't actually use in there. Most old cameras are a joy just to look at. There may come a time where you have a desire for one of them to use. You then don't need to buy it again. Just go to your cabinet and swap cameras.
    Or as I like to say to my wife:

"Dear, why don't we just shop at home?"
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin