Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,916   Online: 853

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

what to keep what to sell ?

i am almost to a point where i want to sell everything i have and just keep one camera ...

any suggestions ?
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am in the same boat. My thoughts have been as follows:

1 - Keep the one most used: This is the Zeiss Ikon for me.
    2 - Keep the one capable of the highest quality: For me that is my 8x10 Deardorff.
    3 - Keep one capable of macro and telephoto: This is my K1000.
    4 - Keep d...l, which we will not discuss here.

These are the ones my head tells me I can make do with. Unfortunately I have not been able to get my heart to agree.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Deserted Island Camera?
    (you know, if there was a photolab or darkroom on said deserted island, and whole crates of velvia washing up on the shore at regular intervals)

Probably depends on what you shoot and already have.
    For me, probably my Bessa and 21mm Skopar (either my Bessa L or R3A, either way i'd use the external finder). If I could buy something before I went to said island, probably same lens on R4A.
    It's small, portable, pocketable, unobtrusive, great for hiking and produces great shots. (and has the uncanny knack that whenever I take only it out for a day of hiking and leave the SLR at home, there's some cool bird to shoot and all i've got is 21mm). Still, I can live without birds but I can't live without landscapes.
    Doesn't do too badly for street and architecture with a slow B+W film and orange filter either...

Or maybe I'd upgrade to a GF690 or something for bigger frames with more detail, but I can't afford them...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks pioneer:

to much stuff, too many memories made with them
    even buying/them memories ... i guess there is no hope for me
    i can't even do what you are doing ... LOL
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Me too (although I really don't have that many that would need to be sold). I'd keep the Nikon F3. It has been my "old reliable" since 1982 and is highly versatile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently did just that. And what a relief. In my case, to all the 35mm and MF gear, I finally had to say goodbye. Everything that was related to roll-film . . . gone. I even purged the darkroom equipment that was related to roll-film. It took me some seven years to acquire it all, and about six months to make it all disappear. I have always had this nagging desire to concentrate on the large formats only, but always found myself enticed by the false convenience of roll-film. Ultimately there was too much anxiety associated with roll film. And putting all that labor and resources into a tiny frame just was no longer worth it. I suppose I was also worried that I might go through some form of withdraw if I wasn't carrying a snapshot camera everywhere I went. Those symptoms never materialized. And now if I'm going to carry a camera it will either be a 4x5, a 5x7, or a half-plate. Do I really need all those cameras?
    Last edited by DannL; 06-28-2013 at 08:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've actually been acquiring d*****l for school. They have a darkroom but don't teach film so I had to get the darkside stuff. Don't tell anyone but it's kinda cool what it can do. But I do carry the F5 more often and if I could only keep one that would be it. Do not yet have the discipline for large format. But it keeps calling me.................

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can't get rid of everything but 1. You have to get rid of them all. Then start over. Essentially, I'm dumping all and just buying a nice $80 Nikon F. Heck, where I live in the middle of nowhere, there's no place I could afford the gas to drive to take pictures. What do I need all this junk for? Maybe an old F and an 8x10 would be plenty of variety.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You only need 2

Of each

Format

And lens mount

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i am almost to a point where i want to sell everything i have and just keep one camera ...

any suggestions ?
    Sorry, I'm at the point where I want to buy everything, and keep everything too. My wife calls it a sickness, I call it a hobby. Fortunately, lack of money keeps me from this sickness, er, I mean goal.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin