Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,509   Online: 840

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Randy-- Good news, and good luck with the recovery. The rat selling it says it's from an "estate". To paraphrase Twain--the rumors of your estate sale are greatly exaggerated.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Zing, well played sir!!!!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good news Randy!

Friends of mine who's home was burglarized said that the worst part was feeling violated. It was a psychological reaction that took a long time to shake.

You shouldn't be mad at yourself or anyone that asks questions, they're just trying to ascertain how much work it was for the thief as well as eliminate you as a possible insurance fraud (yes, people do that too. We had a few similar questions from the fire chief and insurance adjustor and "cause and origin" investigator following our house fire. It felt a bit accusatory at first but then we realized, just people doing their job because people defraud insurance companies all the time).

Keep us posted, it's always good to hear the complete story.

Kenny
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the description:
    "We found this in an estate" and "We clean out a lot of estates"
    Really? Holy cow...
    I'm guessing they're not the typical crackhead burglar.
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Google Alerts was the key.

http://www.google.com/alerts

Set up alerts for Craigslist, eBay and everything else you can think of.
    Use the "site:www.xyz.com keyword" search parameter.
    Look for every keyword you can think of. "Roleiflex, "Camera" or what have you.

eBay will send an e-mail link to your gmail account whenever there is a hit.

I got a hit off "Gossen".

I asked the cop if he would let me watch him put the handcuffs on the guy. He laughed and thought it was funny.

BTW: Yeah, they clean out estates, alright!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Incredible... I hope the rest of the process with the cops and recovery of your gear goes well (and quickly)!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. what other kind of good stuff is the seller listing????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks! I'm literally vibrating right now!
    Fingers and toes are crossed! Eyes are crossed too!

Just as a thought...
    What if we start a thread or an article about what to do if your camera gear is stolen?
    Maybe we already have something like that. If not, I suppose we (I) could start something.

My main piece of advice would be to haunt eBay like a ghost. Craigslist, too.
    Pawn shops, second hand stores, Salvation Army, camera stores.
    E-mail blasts to your camera club. The works.

If you haven't already, photograph everything and record the serial numbers!
    The serial number is what clinched it for me.

P.S. - The seller isn't selling any of my other gear. If they are shady, they'll probably bleed it off slowly or, maybe spread it around to other accounts.
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm pleased you located your gear Randy, what a stupid bastard the thief is it's the first place the owner would look, it just makes me wonder how much of the stuff on eBay is stolen. A few years ago the police took over a we buy anything second hand shop in Glasgow and found that over 90% of the stuff they were offered for sale was stolen, and I myself when I managed camera stores wouldn't buy or part exchange any equipment unless the customer could provide some proof of ownership and would sign a document to say he/she was the legal owner of the equipment to avoid us being charged with receiving stolen goods.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I talked to the guy at the pawn shop at length.

He said that there is no requirement in this state to document purchases but, if the goods he buys come up as stolen, he can be on the hook for receiving stolen property. If he documents the sale, he'll be okay as long as he cooperates with the cops.

However, he'll still be out the money and the goods unless he sues for recovery. How likely would he be to recover from a crackhead looking for his next fix?

The owner said, if he thinks it's hinky, he lowballs they guy and only offers him $10.
    Should the merchandise come up dirty, he's only out a few bucks.
    Randy S.

-----

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin